Education, equality and human rights : issues of gender, 'race', sexuality, disability and social class
- 3rd ed.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- xxv, 281 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
LC213.3 .G7 E334 2012
- Unknown LC213.3 .G7 E334 2012
- Cole, Mike, 1946-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword by Peter McLaren- Capital Unchained: The Decomposition of World Civilization 1. Introduction: human rights, equality and education - Mike Cole 2. Unfinished business: women still unequal after forty years- Jane Kelly 3. Gender and education: continuity and difference- Jane Martin 4. Racism in the UK: change and continuity- Mike Cole 5. Racism and education: from Empire to ConDem.- Mike Cole 6. The making of sexualities: sexuality, identity and equality- Simon Forrest and Viv Ellis 7. Straight talking: challenges in teaching and learning about sexuality and homophobia in schools- Simon Forrest 8. The struggle for disability- Richard Rieser 9. Inclusive education: a human right- Richard Rieser 10. Social class, Marxism and twenty-first century socialism- Martin Cole 11. Social class and schooling: differentiation or democracy?- Richard Hatcher.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- 'Addressing issues that include the challenge of disability discrimination in schooling, gender and equality, 'race' and racism, sexuality and social justice, and class analysis and knowledge formation, Education, Equality and Human Rights is an urgent and important contribution to the social justice literature as it intersects with current educational debates and struggles.' Professor Peter McLaren, University of Auckland, New Zealand Education, Equality and Human Rights traces the history of diverse equality issues up to the present, and enables readers to assess their continuing relevance in the future. Written by experts in their particular field, each of the five equality issues of gender, 'race', sexual orientation, disability and social class are covered as areas in their own right as well as in relation to education. This third edition has been fully revised to reflect major changes in law and policy and offers contemporary perspectives on world-wide equality issues. Key issues explored include: human rights and equality gender gender and education racism racism and Education sexuality and identity sexuality and homophobia in schools the struggle for disability equality inclusive education social class social Class and education. With a new foreword by leading educationist Peter McLaren, this comprehensive, accessible and thought-provoking book will be of interest to teachers, student teachers, education students, and all those more generally interested in issues of equality and human rights.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Mike Cole.
- 9780415584173 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0415584175 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9780415584166 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415584167 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203155523 (ebook)
- 0203155521 (ebook)