Innovating EFL teaching in Asia
- edited by Theron Muller... [et al.].
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 301 p. : ill ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|P53 .I47 2012||Unknown|
- Muller, Theron, 1977-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 280-297) and index.
- List of Tables and Figures Foreword Acknowledgements Notes on the Contributors List of Abbreviations Introduction-- T.Muller PART I: DEFINING THE ASIAN EFL CONTEXT-- T.Muller & P.S.Brown Teaching the New English Curriculum: An Ethnographic Study in a Chinese High School-- X.Fang Global Cultures and Identities: Refocusing the Aims of ELT in Asia Through Intercultural Awareness-- W.Baker Training the Pesantren: Intercultural Materials for Islamic Boarding Schools in Indonesia-- G.Palmer & I.Chodidjah Language Learning Styles and Beliefs of EFL University Students In Korea: Are They Really Stereotypical?-- A.Finch PART II: EMPOWERING ASIAN VOICES-- J.Adamson Learner Autonomy in Asia: How Asian Teachers and Students See Themselves-- F.Murase How Thai National Culture Can Be Used to Explain Students' Behavior-- C.Raktham Co-Constructing Teacher Beliefs Towards Qualifications: Insights From Interviews in the Japanese Context-- J.Adamson 'Reconceptualizing' Self as a Teacher in a Malaysian Context-- R.Erlam & S.Gray PART III: INNOVATING TEACHING METHODOLOGY IN ASIA-- T.Muller Promoting Strategy Teaching as an Innovative Practice in the Asian EFL Oral Classroom-- W.Y.K.Lam Innovating a Vocabulary Learning Strategies Program-- P.S.Brown Classroom Discourse Analysis of Student Use of Language Scaffolding During Tasks-- T.Muller & M.De Boer Innovating EFL Teaching of Reading: An Activity Theory Perspective on Chinese Teachers' Readiness to Adapt to Educational Reform-- H.Yang & E.Bernat PART IV: TEACHING YOUNG LEARNERS IN ASIA-- B.Hoskins Sakamoto Exploring Teachers' Implementation of the Recent Curriculum Innovation in ELT in Turkish Primary Education-- Y.Kirkgoz Affective Factors Contributing to Intrinsic Motivation for Learning English Among Elementary School Students in Japan-- J.M.Carreira Adapting English Picture Books to an EFL Context: A Study of Collaboration Between Elementary School Teachers and TEFL Practitioners in Rural Japan-- J.M.Hall, T.Yamazaki, C.Takahashi & T.Ishigame Let's Speak English: Bridging the Linguistic Divide in Tamil Nadu-- K.A.Anderson & P.P.Narayanan PART V: INNOVATING TEACHING WRITING IN ASIA-- S.Herder Extensive Writing: A Fluency-First Approach to EFL Writing-- S.Herder & P.Clements Who Takes The Floor? Peer Feedback or Teacher Feedback: An Investigation of Chinese University English Learners' Use and Understanding of Peer and Teacher Feedback On Writing-- H.Zhao Assessing EFL Writing: Meaningful Innovations Through SFL-- T.Hisaoka Epilogue: Description and Evaluation of the Process of Creating this Book-- T.Muller & J.Adamson Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230301528 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- Despite more than 50 years of research and discussion about teaching English in Asia, there has been little attempt to define what it means to teach English as a foreign language rather than as a second language. Additionally, methodological reform has been centered in Western countries, with innovation moving from ESL countries out to EFL contexts. That has now begun to change. This volume offers a distinctly Asian voice for English language education and addresses some of the unique needs of Asian learners in EFL contexts. Researchers from nine Asian countries offer some of the most current and innovative research into EFL teaching and learning within five distinct areas of EFL teaching and learning: * Defining the Asian EFL Context * Empowering Asian Voices * Innovating Teaching Methodology in Asia * Teaching Young Learners in Asia * Innovating the Teaching of Writing in Asia.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230301528 20160614
- Publication date
- 9780230301511 (hbk.)
- 0230301517 (hbk.)
- 9780230301528 (pbk.)
- 0230301525 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: