Raising African-American males : strategies and interventions for successful outcomes
- Harris, Theresa, 1956-
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2012.
- Physical description
- vii, 107 p. ; 24 cm.
LC2731 .H37 2012
- Unknown LC2731 .H37 2012
- Taylor, George, 1944-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1: Introduction Chapter 2: Standards Based Life Skills Interventions Chapter 3: Societal and Environment Factors Chapter 4: Drug Education Awareness and Intervention Strategies Chapter 5: Modeling Themes for Parental Support Chapter 6: Learning Theories for Parents Chapter 7: Assessment Strategies Chapter 8: A Proposed Model for Closing the Achievement Gap Chapter 9: Coordination and Utilization of the Community Resources Chapter 10: Summary.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Raising African American Males is comprised of strategies and interventions that can assist and improve African American males' achievement in all areas of academics as well as in their everyday lives. Theresa Harris and George Taylor provide pedagogical strategies that employ various instructional tools for teachers, parents, African American youth, and administrators. In addition, this book can be a guide to improve the educational outlook for African American males and to provide the necessary resources used for training of parents, teachers, and students. The "No Child Left Behind Act" of 2001 and the Maryland Redesign of Teacher Education provides for the belief in the efficacy of all students. Many social inadequacies and injustices have resulted in social problems including the lack of resources for African American males to succeed.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- African American young men > Education.
- African American men > Education.
- Academic achievement > United States.
- Education > Parent participation > United States.
- African American young men > Family relationships.
- African American young men > Social conditions.
- African American men > Social conditions.
- Publication date
- Theresa L. Harris and George Taylor.
- 9781607092988 (hardback)
- 1607092980 (hardback)
- 9781607092995 (paper)
- 1607092999 (paper)
- 9781607093008 (electronic)
- 1607093006 (electronic)