Education and social justice in the era of globalisation : perspectives from India and the UK
- editors, Marie Lall, Geetha B. Nambissan.
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2011.
- Physical description
- 198 p. : ill ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA1151 .E335 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Education, Globalization and Social Justice Geetha B. Nambissan and Marie Lall 1. Revisiting the Equality Debate in India and UK: Caste, Race and Class Intersections in Education Marie Lall and S. Srinivasa Rao 2. The Educational Strategies of the Middle Classes in England and India Carol Vincent and Radhika Menon 3. Globalization, Economic Reforms and the Lives of Urban, Middle Class Women in India Anjali Kothari 4. Disability, Policy and Education: Contrasting Perspectives from India and England Felicity Armstrong and Pratyasha Sahoo 5. Globalization, Funding and Access to Higher Education: Perspectives from India and the UK Vincent Carpentier, Saumen Chattopadhyay and Binay Kumar Pathak 6. Advocacy Networks, Choice and Schooling of the Poor in India Geetha B. Nambissan and Stephen J. Ball. Bibliography About the Editors. Notes on Contributors. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The book discusses the implications of globalization on education from the perspective of social justice. It looks at two countries - India and the UK - to look at how global economic and cultural processes are mediated through nation states, institutional structures and the aspirations of different social groups. It seeks to resituate the debates around education and social justice in policy, research and public discourse by highlighting the need for a more nuanced understanding of globalization and education. It also demonstrates the effects of economic dimensions - the politics of neoliberalism, and how this has shifted the understanding of state responsibilities and marginalized issues pertaining to the agenda of social justice.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Education and social justice in the era of globalization
Browse related items
Start at call number: