From digital natives to digital wisdom : hopeful essays for 21st century learning
- Marc Prensky ; foreword by Milton Chen.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2012.
- Physical description
- x, 227 p. : ill ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA217.2 .P68 2012||Unknown|
- Prensky, Marc.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword by Milton Chen About the Author Introduction I. Rethinking Education 1. The Reformers Are Leaving Our Schools in the 20th Century 2. On Learning 3. Educaiton as Rocket Science 4. Turning On the Lights 5. Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants 6. The Emerging Online Life of the Digital Native 7. Young Minds, Fast Times 8. Blame Our Young? Or Use Their Passion! 9. To Educate, We Must Listen 10. Bringing the Future to School: The Prensky Challenge 11. An Open Letter to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Questions for Reflection II. 21st Century Learning, and Technology in the Classroom 12. The Role of Technology in Teaching and the Classroom 13. Backup Education? 14. Simple Changes in Current Practices May Save Our Schools 15. The Longer View: Why YouTube Matters 16. Beyond the Lemonade Stand 17. Types of Learning and Possible Game Styles 18. On Being Disrespected 19. Let's Be "Digital Multipliers" 20. Search Versus Research 21. Simulation Nation 22. What Can You Learn From a Cell Phone? Almost Anything! 23. The True 21st Century Literacy Is Programming Epilogue: From Digital Natives to Digital Wisdom Questions for Reflection Final Note Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781452230092 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- This title offers an expert perspective on 21st century education. What can you learn on a cell phone? Almost anything! How does that concept fit with our traditional system of education? It doesn't. Best-selling author and futurist Marc Prensky's book of essays challenges educators to "reboot" and make the changes necessary to prepare students for 21st century careers. His "bottom-up" vision is based on interviews with young people and includes their ideas about what they need from teachers, schools, and education. Also featured are easy-to-do, high-impact classroom strategies that help what he calls "digital natives" acquire "digital wisdom". This thought-provoking text is organized into two sections that address: Rethinking education; and, 21st century learning and technology in the classroom (including games, YouTube, and more). In addition to valuable knowledge, this compelling collection offers inspiration, new perspectives, and ideas that work. Our educational context has changed, and a new context demands new thinking. This book will broaden your mind, spark new insights regarding how and what you teach, and reshape your vision of 21st century education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781452230092 20160607
- Publication date
- 9781452230092 (pbk.)
- 1452230099 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: