Adolescent literacy in the academic disciplines : general principles and practical strategies
- edited by Tamara L. Jetton, Cynthia Shanahan.
- New York : Guilford Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 274 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1631 .A344 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Jetton, Lee, Learning from Text: Adolescent Literacy from the Past Decade. Fang, The Challenges of Reading Disciplinary Texts. Shanahan, How Disciplinary Experts Read. Jetton, Lee, A Model for Teacher Planning with Text in the Academic Disciplines. Hicks, Steffel, Learning with Text in English/Language Arts. Shanahan, Learning with Text in Science. Siebert, Draper, Reconceptualizing Literacy and Instruction for Mathematics Classrooms. VanSledright, Learning with Texts in History: Protocols for Reading and Practical Strategies. Moxley, Batcheller, Burditt, Gamble, Gumm, Paas, Thurston, Learning with Text in the Arts.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781462502837 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- From leading authorities in both adolescent literacy and content-area teaching, this book addresses the particular challenges of literacy learning in each of the major academic disciplines. Chapters focus on how to help students successfully engage with texts and ideas in English/literature, science, math, history, and arts classrooms. The book shows that while general strategies for reading informational texts are essential, they are not enough - students also need to learn processing strategies that are quite specific to each subject and its typical tasks or problems. Vignettes from exemplary classrooms illustrate research-based ways to build content-area knowledge while targeting essential reading and writing skills.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781462502837 20160607
- Publication date
- 9781462502837 (hardback)
- 1462502830 (hardback)
- 9781462502806 (paper)
- 1462502806 (paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: