How do we know they're getting better? : assessment for 21st century minds, K-8
- John Barell.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2012.
- Physical description
- ix, 247 p. : ill ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3051 .B263 2012||Unknown|
- Barell, John.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Appreciations About the Author Introduction 1. An Overview 2. Teacher Modeling 3. Creating the Invitation-to-Risk Environment 4. Curriculum for the 21st Century 5. Preassessments 6. Formative Assessments: Gathering a "Wealth of Information" 7. From Stories to Powerful Questions 8. "My Inquiry Skills Shot Through the Roof!" 9. "STEM Changed My Life!" 10. "Cookie-Cutter A" Becomes Self-Directed Student 11. Inquiry Begins at Home 12. After Action Reviews Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412995283 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- Boost your students' 21st century skills How do we measure students' inquiry, problem-solving, and critical thinking abilities so that we know they are prepared to meet the challenges of the 21st century? John Barell explains how inquiry leads to problem-solving and provides specific steps for formative assessment that informs instruction of 21st century skills. Included are examples that show how to use today's technology in the classroom and how to use inquiry to develop and assess students' ability to: Think critically and creatively Collaborate with others Become self-directed learners Adapt and become resourceful Develop a sense of leadership, responsibility, and global awareness The authors challenge teachers to reflect on their own learning, thinking, and problem-solving processes as well as those of their students. The text provides frameworks for monitoring students' progress and guidelines for communicating with parents. Teachers will find examples from all grade levels that show how to observe and assess students' growth in their development of 21st century capacities, making this a timely and valuable resource.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412995283 20160607
- Publication date
- 9781412995283 (pbk.)
- 1412995280 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: