Teaching the tradition : Catholic themes in academic disciplines
- edited by John J. Piderit and Melanie M. Morey.
- Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- x, 480 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC501 .T435 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction, The Editors -- Part I Foundations -- Chapter 1: Fundamental Catholic Theology -- David Gentry-Akin -- Chapter 2: Catholic Anthropology -- Rev. Thomas P. Rausch, S.J. -- Chapter 3: Perspectives in Catholic Theology -- Lawrence Cunningham -- Chapter 4: Perspectives in Catholic Philosophy I -- Rev. Brian Shanley, O.P. -- Chapter 5: Perspectives in Catholic Philosophy II -- Rev. David B. Burrell, C.S.C -- Part II The Catholic Intellectual Tradition in the Humanities -- Chapter 6: Poetry and Catholic Themes -- Angela Alaimo O'Donnell -- Chapter 7: Drama and Catholic Themes -- Ed Block, Jr. -- Chapter 8: Fiction and Catholic Themes -- Paul Contino -- Chapter 9: Part I - Christian Literature in a Secular University -- Robert Kiely -- Part II - The View From a Church-Related University -- Paul J. Contino -- Chapter 10: Political Theory and Catholic Themes -- Jeanne Heffernan Schindler -- Chapter 11: History in a Catholic Perspective -- Glenn Olsen -- Chapter 12: Mathematics, Reality, and God -- Rev. Paul Schweitzer, S.J. -- Chapter 13: Catholic Themes in Art and Music -- Charles Scribner III -- Part III Religious Themes Related to the Sciences -- Chapter 14: Psychology's in a Catholic Perspective -- Jeffrey Adams -- Chapter 15: Evolutionary Biology in a Catholic Framework -- Oliver Putz -- Chapter 16: Environmental Studies in a Catholic Framework -- Elaine Grose -- Chapter 17: Physics and Astronomy in a Catholic Framework -- Rev. William Stoeger, S.J. -- Part IV The Good Life in the Professions -- Chapter 18: Economics and Business in a Catholic Perspective -- Rev. John Piderit, S.J -- Chapter 19: Education in a Catholic Framework -- Melanie M. Morey -- Chapter 20: Medicine, Health, and Catholic Themes -- Rev. Myles Sheehan, S.J., M.D. -- Chapter 21: Law in a Catholic Framework -- Patrick McKinley Brennan.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780199795314 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- The Catholic intellectual tradition is broad, and covers a wide array of academic disciplines. From the origin of universities and through their first six hundred years of existence, philosophy and theology were the central disciplines. However, with the establishment of chairs in mathematics and others in chemistry at German universities in the nineteenth century, new academic disciplines started to be acknowledged and, in the following two hundred years, the modern array of academic departments gradually emerged. Many of the topics covered in these emerging disciplines, however, had earlier been addressed in theology or philosophy, and it is from here that the Catholic intellectual tradition made important contributions and distinctions in many of the most popular undergraduate academic departments. Structured around two lead essays on Catholic anthropology and Catholic theology, this volume focuses on important religious themes and how they appear in various academic disciplines. John Piderit, Melanie Morey, and their contributors take a disciplinary approach to the Catholic intellectual tradition. Each chapter focuses on one academic discipline or major that is taught at the undergraduate level in most colleges or universities; the book is primarily intended for Catholic institutions who teach undergraduates and have an interest in showing students how various topics in their disciplines are related to Christian belief and the Catholic tradition in particular.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780199795314 20160607
- Publication date
- 9780199795307 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 0199795304 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9780199795314 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0199795312 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: