Turbulence, coherent structures, dynamical systems and symmetry
- Philip Holmes ... [et al.].
- 2nd ed.
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Physical description
- xvi, 386 p. : ill ; 26 cm.
- Cambridge monographs on mechanics.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA913 .H65 2012||Unknown|
- Holmes, Philip, 1945-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -381) and index.
- Part I. Turbulence: 1. Introduction-- 2. Coherent structures-- 3. Proper orthogonal decomposition-- 4. Galerkin projection-- 5. Balanced proper orthogonal decomposition-- Part II. Dynamical Systems: 6. Qualitative theory-- 7. Symmetry-- 8. One-dimensional 'turbulence'-- 9. Randomly-perturbed systems-- Part III. The Boundary Layer: 10. Low-dimensional models-- 11. Behaviour of the models-- Part IV. Other Applications and Related Work: 12. Some other fluid problems-- 13. Review: prospects for rigor-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Turbulence pervades our world, from weather patterns to the air entering our lungs. This book describes methods that reveal its structures and dynamics. Building on the existence of coherent structures - recurrent patterns - in turbulent flows, it describes mathematical methods that reduce the governing (Navier-Stokes) equations to simpler forms that can be understood more easily. This second edition contains a new chapter on the balanced proper orthogonal decomposition: a method derived from control theory that is especially useful for flows equipped with sensors and actuators. It also reviews relevant work carried out since 1995. The book is ideal for engineering, physical science and mathematics researchers working in fluid dynamics and other areas in which coherent patterns emerge.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- Cambridge monographs on mechanics
- Rev. ed. of: Turbulence, coherent structures, dynamical systems, and symmetry / Philip Holmes, John L. Lumley, and Gal Berkooz.
- Related Work
- Holmes, Philip, 1945- Turbulence, coherent structures, dynamical systems, and symmetry.
- 9781107008250 (hardback)
- 1107008255 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: