Encyclopedia of radicals in chemistry, biology, and materials [electronic resource]
- Chichester, West Sussex ; Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (4 v.) : ill (some col.)
- Includes bibliographical references.
- VOLUME 1: BASIC CONCEPTS AND METHODOLOGIES Preface ix List of Contributors xi Abbreviations and Acronymns xix 1 The History of Free Radical Chemistry 1 Thomas T. Tidwell 2 Overview of Radical Initiation 37 Jacques Lalevee and Jean Pierre Fouassier 3 Basic Concepts on Radical Chain Reactions 57 Michael S. Sherburn 4 Thermochemistry and Hydrogen Transfer Kinetics 81 Andreas A. Zavitsas 5 Radical Kinetics and Clocks 107 Martin Newcomb 6 Radical Rearrangements: Ester-Substituted Radicals and Hydrogen Atom Migrations 125 Kaname Sasaki, Ian Cumpstey and David Crich 7 Analysis of Radicals by EPR 147 John C. Walton 8 Structures and Reactivity of Radicals Followed by Magnetic Resonance 175 Alexandra Yurkovskaya, Olga Morozova and Georg Gescheidt 9 Matrix Isolation of Radicals 207 Artur Mardyukov and Wolfram Sander 10 Supramolecular Radical Chemistry 229 Marco Lucarini 11 Redox Properties of Radicals 249 David C. Magri and Mark S. Workentin 12 Photo Induced Radical Reactions 275 Julia P'erez-Prieto and Miguel A. Miranda 13 Radical Cation/Anion and Neutral Radicals: A Comparison 301 Amber N. Hancock and J. M. Tanko 14 The SRN1 Reaction 333 Javier I. Bardagi, Victoria A. Vaillard and Roberto A. Rossi 15 Photoinduced Reactions of Radical Ions via Charge Separation 365 Shunichi Fukuzumi and Kei Ohkubo 16 Radiation-Induced Radical Reactions 395 Krzysztof Bobrowski 17 Free Radical Chemistry in Room-Temperature Ionic Liquids 433 Ilya A. Shkrob and James F. Wishart 18 Radical Stability-Thermochemical Aspects 449 Johnny Hioe and Hendrik Zipse 19 Radical Chemistry in the Gas Phase 477 Christian Alcaraz, Ingo Fischer and Detlef Schroder 20 Atmospheric Radical Chemistry 503 Paul H. Wine and J. Michael Nicovich VOLUME 2: SYNTHETIC STRATEGIES AND APPLICATIONS 21 Tin Hydrides and Functional Group Transformations 529 Hannelore Jasch and Markus R. Heinrich 22 Silanes as Reducing Reagents in Radical Chemistry 561 Chryssostomos Chatgilialoglu and Vitaliy I. Timokhin 23 Boron in Radical Chemistry 601 Philippe Renaud 24 Intramolecular Homolytic Substitutions in Synthesis 629 Sara H. Kyne and Carl H. Schiesser 25 Stereoselective Radical Reactions 655 Yong-Hua Yang and Mukund P. Sibi 26 Unusual Cyclizations 693 Kerry Gilmore and Igor V. Alabugin 27 Radical Cascade Reactions 729 Alexandre Baralle, Abdulkader Baroudi, Marion Daniel, Louis Fensterbank, Jean-Philippe Goddard, Emmanuel Lacote, Marie-Helene Larraufie, Giovanni Maestri, Max Malacria and Cyril Ollivier 28 Main-Group Elements in Radical Chemistry 767 Alexandre Baralle, Abdulkader Baroudi, Marion Daniel, Louis Fensterbank, Jean-Philippe Goddard, Emmanuel Lacote, Marie-Helene Larraufie, Giovanni Maestri, Max Malacria and Cyril Ollivier 29 Organic Electron Donors 817 John A. Murphy 30 Organic Synthesis Using Samarium Diiodide 849 Susannah C. Coote, Robert A. Flowers II, Troels Skrydstrup and David J. Procter 31 Manganese(III) Acetate, CAN, and Fe(III) Salts in Oxidative Radical Chemistry 901 Jonathan W. Burton 32 Halogen and Chalcogen Transfer Chemistry 943 Chaozhong Li 33 Xanthates and Related Derivatives as Radical Precursors 965 Samir Z. Zard 34 Epoxides in Titanocene-Mediated and -Catalyzed Radical Reactions 989 Andreas Gansauer and Andre Fleckhaus 35 Transition Metals and Radicals 1003 Hideki Yorimitsu 36 Unusual Radical Acceptors 1019 Piero Spagnolo and Daniele Nanni 37 Radical Arylations 1059 Santiago E. Vaillard and Armido Studer 38 Nitroxides in Synthetic Radical Chemistry 1095 Chittreeya Tansakul and Rebecca Braslau 39 Radicals and Carbohydrates 1131 Ines Perez-Martin and Ernesto Suarez 40 Electrochemically Initiated Radical Reactions 1175 Martin A. Bohn, Anna Paul and Gerhard Hilt 41 Synthetic Radical Photochemistry 1217 Emmanuel Riguet and Norbert Hoffmann 42 Radical Chemistry by Using Flow Microreactor Technology 1243 Takahide Fukuyama and Ilhyong Ryu VOLUME 3: CHEMICAL BIOLOGY 43 Biological Chemistry of Reactive Oxygen Species 1259 Christine C. Winterbourn 44 Reactions of Small Reactive Species with DNA 1283 Nicholas E. Geacintov and Vladimir Shafirovich 45 Oxidatively Generated Nucleobase Modifications in Isolated and Cellular DNA 1319 Jean Cadet, Thierry Douki, Didier Gasparutto, Jean-Luc Ravanat and J. Richard Wagner 46 Oxidatively Formed Sugar Radicals in Nucleic Acids 1345 Thanasis Gimisis and Chryssostomos Chatgilialoglu 47 Understanding DNA Radicals Employing Theory and Electron Spin Resonance Spectroscopy 1371 Amitava Adhikary, Anil Kumar, David Becker and Michael D. Sevilla 48 Charge Transfer in DNA 1397 Mamoru Fujitsuka and Tetsuro Majima 49 Oxidative Damage to Proteins 1425 Michael J. Davies 50 Radical-Based Damage of Sulfur-Containing Amino Acid Residues 1459 Christian Schoneich 51 Electron Transfer in Peptides and Proteins 1475 Bernd Giese, Sonja Eckhardt and Miriam Lauz 52 Radical Enzymes 1501 Wolfgang Buckel and Bernard T. Golding 53 Theoretical Studies of Radical Enzymes 1547 Gregory M. Sandala, David M. Smith and Leo Radom 54 Lipid Peroxidation 1577 Etsuo Niki 55 Lipid Isomerization 1599 Carla Ferreri and Chryssostomos Chatgilialoglu 56 Antioxidants in Chemistry and Biology 1623 Luca Valgimigli and Derek A. Pratt 57 Free Radicals and Metabolic Disorders 1679 Guy Cohen, Yael Riahi and Shlomo Sasson VOLUME 4: POLYMERS AND MATERIALS 58 Radical Polymerization in Industry 1701 Peter Nesvadba 59 Kinetics of Polymerizations 1737 Michael Buback and Gregory T. Russell 60 Fundamentals of Controlled/Living Radical Polymerization 1785 Krzysztof Matyjaszewski 61 Nitroxide-Mediated Polymerization and its Applications 1813 Didier Gigmes and Sylvain R. A. Marque 62 Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization (ATRP) and Addition (ATRA) and Applications 1851 Tomislav Pintauer and Krzysztof Matyjaszewski 63 Reversible Addition Fragmentation Chain Transfer (RAFT) Polymerization: Mechanism, Process and Applications 1895 Christopher Barner-Kowollik, James P. Blinco, Mathias Destarac, Kristofer J. Thurecht and S'ebastien Perrier 64 Sb, Bi, Te, and I-Transfer Polymerization and Applications 1931 Shigeru Yamago and Eiichi Kayahara 65 Spin Labels and Spin Probes 1965 David Bardelang, Micael Hardy, Olivier Ouari and Paul Tordo 66 Radical Thiol-X Click Chemistry 2017 Niels ten Brummelhuis and Helmut Schlaad 67 Conducting Polymers: Applications in Electronics and Photovoltaics 2057 Huanli Dong and Wenping Hu 68 Silicon Radical Surface Chemistry 2081 Bart Rijksen, Mabel A. Caipa Campos, Jos M. J. Paulusse and Han Zuilhof 69 Persistent and Stable Silyl Radicals 2117 Boris Tumanskii, Miriam Karni and Yitzhak Apeloig 70 Physical Properties of Thiazyl Radicals Toward Conductive and Magnetic Materials 2147 Kunio Awaga 71 Polyradicals in Batteries 2163 Kenichi Oyaizu and Hiroyuki Nishide 72 Radical Chemistry on Fullerenes 2171 Manolis D. Tzirakis and Michael Orfanopoulos 73 A Paradigm for the Radical-Mediated Photochemical Synthesis of Metal Nanostructures 2197 Juan C. Scaiano, Kevin G. Stamplecoskie, Katherine L. McGilvray and Natalia L. Pacioni Author Index 2211 Subject Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Highlighting the growing applications of free radicals in key chemical, biological and medical processes Over the last two decades the application of free radicals in organic synthesis, materials science and life science has steadily increased, this Encyclopedia presents methodologies and mechanisms involving free radicals of chemical and biological research, including applications in materials science and medicine. The aim of thisEncyclopedia is to offer for the first time a description of free radicals within an interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary context, connecting structural characteristics and chemical properties to their applications in different areas of chemistry and related disciplines. Itcovers not only basic concepts and chemical synthesis, but also touches on various aspects concerning the role of free radicals in materials and life sciences. The reader will find a balanced contribution of topics related to free radicals covering for example, their role in proteomics, genomics and lipidomics as well as their enormous potential in synthesis and technology. Covers topical areas such as: Alzheimer's disease and antioxidants in food within medicine and life sciences Synthesis and catalysis, combustion and atmospheric chemistry within chemistry Ageing and signalling in biological processes Ofinterest toanybody working in the field of free radicals in the broadest sense. It will address scientists who want to enter the interdisciplinary field of free radicals. In particular, it is aimed primarily at chemists and life science researchers who want to gain a wider and deeper understanding of free radicals which will allow them to apply free radicals in their own scientific field. The book consists of four themed volumes: Basic Concepts & Methodologies Synthetic Strategies & Applications Chemical Biology Polymers & Materials Online Edition Encyclopedia of Radicals in Chemistry, Biology and Materials is also available online, click here for more details: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/book/10.1002/9781119953678.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- editors, Chryssostomos Chatgilialoglu and Armido Studer.
- Index not included in electronic reproduction.
- Available in another form
- Print version: Encyclopedia of radicals in chemistry, biology, and materials. Chichester, West Sussex ; Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, 2012 9780470971253 (DLC) 2011040417 (OCoLC)753624306
- 9780470971253 (electronic bk.)
- 0470971258 (electronic bk.)
- 9781119953678 (Wiley online)
- 1119953677 (Wiley online)