Classroom management : a guide for urban school teachers
- Sean B. Yisrael.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2012.
- Physical description
- vi, 106 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3013 .Y55 2012||Unknown|
- Yisrael, Sean B.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 101-103).
- TABLE OF CONTENTS Forward (By Dr. Carlos Blair) Introduction CHAPTER ONE: UNDERSTANDING THE BIG PICTURE OF URBAN EDUCATION CHAPTER TWO: LEARN WHAT STUDENTS' LIVES ARE LIKE OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL *Do Your Research *Making Connections CHAPTER THREE: GET RID OF FEAR AND SYMPATHY *Four Types of Fearful Teachers *Assertiveness Equates to Confidence CHAPTER FOUR: ESTABLISH ROUTINES, PRACTICES, RULES, AND CLASSROOM NORMS *Classroom Routines and Norms *Making the Classroom Conducive for Learning *Properly Arrange the Classroom Furniture *Develop Your Classroom Rituals *Classroom Rules and Consequences *Dealing With Misbehaviors *Understanding Student Resistance *The Three Categories of Urban Students *Strategic Action *Applying Corrective Action CHAPTER FIVE: ESTABLISH CONNECTIONS WITH PARENTS OR SOME CARING ADULT *Establish Open Lines of Communication *The Disconnect Between Parents and Teachers *Making Connections With Parents *An Alternative Form of Parental Contact *A Word of Caution *Try to Acknowledge Parents Whenever Possible CHAPTER SIX: CREATE INTERESTING LESSONS *Create Engaging Lessons CONCLUSION.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781610487634 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- Many teachers who work in urban schools find classroom management to be very problematic. Their university course work, and training, didn't prepare them for the heavy demands of being an urban school teacher. Urban educators need to be equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to effectively manage adverse behaviors, and still deliver a quality education to all students. Classroom Management: A Guide for Urban School Teachers is designed to give educators practical strategies that will help them deal with the unique challenges faced by urban school teachers today. Whether the teacher is a novice teaching professional, or an experienced veteran; he/she will be able to learn how to establish and maintain control over the classroom environment, effectively deal with the most extreme student misbehaviors, establish rapport with students and parents, and reduce the amount of students sent to the principal's office on referrals. After reading this book, teachers will be able to combat the negative forces that adversely affect the classroom setting, and be able to concentrate on teaching and learning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781610487634 20160607
- Publication date
- 9781610487627 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1610487621 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781610487634 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 161048763X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781610487641 (ebook)
- 1610487648 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: