Opening minds : using language to change lives
- Peter H. Johnston.
- Portland, Me. : Stenhouse Publishers, c2012.
- Physical description
- viii, 152 p. : ill ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1139 .L3 J636 2012||Unknown|
- Johnston, Peter H.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 139-148) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Sometimes a single word changes everything. In his groundbreaking book, Choice Words, Peter Johnston demonstrated how the things teachers say (and don't say) have surprising consequences for the literate lives of students. Now, in Opening Minds : Using Language to Change Lives , Peter shows how the words teachers choose affect the worlds students inhabit in the classroom, and ultimately their futures. He explains how to engage children with more productive talk and to create classrooms that support not only students' intellectual development, but their development as human beings. Grounded in research, Opening Minds: Using Language to Change Lives shows how words can shape students' learning, their sense of self, and their social, emotional and moral development. Make no mistake: words have the power to open minds - or close them.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781571108166 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1571108165 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781571109538 (ebook)
- 1571109536 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: