A realist approach for qualitative research
- Joseph A. Maxwell.
- Los Angeles : SAGE Publications, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiii, 222 p. : ill ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|H62 .M324 2012||Unknown|
- Maxwell, Joseph Alex, 1941-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 183-203) and indexes.
- Preface: The Value of Realism for Qualitative Research Acknowledgments About the Author Part I: A Realist Stance for Qualitative Research Chapter 1: What Is Realism, and Why Should Qualitative Researchers Care? Chapter 2: Meaning and Culture Are Real Chapter 3: Causation Is Real Chapter 4: Diversity Is Real Part II: Realism and Qualitative Methods Chapter 5: The Realities of Research Design Chapter 6: Research Relationships and Data Collection Chapter 7: Real and Virtual Relationships in Qualitative Data Analysis (with Barbara Miller) Chapter 8: Understanding, Validity, and Evidence Part III: Applications of Realism in Qualitative Research Chapter 9: Explaining Plains Indian Social Organization Chapter 10: Meaning and Diversity in Inuit Kinship and Culture Conclusion References Author Index Subject Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761929239 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- Are cultural and material phenomena equally real? How can one study the relationships between cultural constructions, social behaviour and material conditions and draw a valid conclusion from the data? In contrast to interpretive or constructivist positions, realism supports the insights of critical theory in social and educational research regarding the relationships between actors' perspectives and their actual situations, while avoiding the epistemological objectivism associated with positivism and some forms of post-positivist empiricism. This book will explain how readers can use realism to conceptualize and conduct their qualitative study to get results with greater validity.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780761929239 20160607
- Publication date
- 9780761929239 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0761929231 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: