Teaching and learning second language listening : metacognition in action
- Larry Vandergrift, Christine C.M. Goh.
- New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- xx, 315 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
- ESL and applied linguistics professional series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|P53.47 .V36 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -305) and index.
- Preface Prologue: Reflection on Issues Related to Teaching and Learning Listening I. Learning to Listen 1. Challenges and Opportunities in Listening Instruction 2. Listening Competence 3. A Model of Listening Comprehension 4. Factors that Influence Listening Success II. A Metacognitive Approach to Listening 5. A Metacognitive Approach to Listening Instruction 6. A Metacognitive Pedagogical Sequence 7. Activities for Metacognitive Instruction 8. Developing Perception and Word Segmentation Skills 9. Task-Based Listening Lessons 10. Projects for Extensive Listening III. Listening in Other Contexts 11. Listening in Multimedia Environments 12. Assessing Listening for Learning Epilogue: Synthesis of Issues Related to Teaching and Learning Listening Appendices References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This reader-friendly text, firmly grounded in listening theories and supported by recent research findings, offers a comprehensive treatment of concepts and knowledge related to teaching second language (L2) listening, with a particular emphasis on metacognition. The metacognitive approach, aimed at developing learner listening in a holistic manner, is unique and groundbreaking. The book is focused on the language learner throughout; all theoretical perspectives, research insights, and pedagogical principles in the book are presented and discussed in relation to the learner. The pedagogical model a combination of the tried-and-tested sequence of listening lessons and activities that show learners how to activate processes of skilled listeners provides teachers with a sound framework for students' L2 listening development to take place inside and outside the classroom. The text includes many practical ideas for listening tasks that have been used successfully in various language learning contexts.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- ESL & applied linguistics professional series
- 9780415883719 (alk. paper)
- 0415883717 (alk. paper)
- 9780415883726 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0415883725 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780203843376 (ebk)
- 0203843371 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: