Writing in the disciplines
- edited by Mary Deane and Peter O'Neill.
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 278 p. : ill ; 22 cm.
- Universities into the 21st century.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|PE1404 .W7264 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword: Explicit Knowledge: Writing in the Disciplines as Higher Education-- J.Monroe PART I: CONTEXTS Introduction: Writing in the Disciplines: Beyond Remediality-- M.Deane & P.O'Neill Cross-cultural Approaches to Writing and Disciplinarity-- C.Donahue Developing Academic Literacy in Context: Trends in Australia-- E.Purser The Role of Assessment in 'Writing in the Disciplines' (WiD)-- K.Harrington PART II: COLLABORATING TO SUPPORT STUDENT WRITERS A Comparison of 'Additional' and 'Embedded' Approaches to Teaching Writing in the Disciplines-- U.Wingate Enhancing Students' Legal Writing-- S.Foster & M.Deane Writing Hazards-- D.Horne & K.Peake Taking Action in Business-- M.Emmanuel, P.O'Neill, D.Holley, L.Johnson & S.Sinfield Writing for Mathematics Education at Doctoral Level-- P.Samuels & M.Deane Political Theory, Academic Writing, and Widening Participation-- B.Schippers & J.Worley Writing Design-- D.Bhagat & P.O'Neill From WAC to WiD: Trialling Writing-intensive Pedagogies with Academic Staff in UK Higher Education-- R.Bell, S.Broadberry & J.Ayodeji PART III: WID AND THE INSTITUTION Backward Design: Towards an Effective Model of Staff Development in Writing in the Disciplines-- J.Bean Writing in the Disciplines and Learning Technologists: Towards Effective Collaboration-- C.Llewelln-Jones, M.Agombar & M.Deane The Writing Centre as a Locus for WiD, WAC and Whole-Institution Writing Provision-- L.Ganobcsik-Williams Conclusion: Ways forward for WiD-- M.Deane & P.O'Neill Afterword: Afterword - and Onward!-- C.Glenn.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230237087 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- 'Writing in the Disciplines' (WiD) is a growing field in which discipline-based academics, writing developers, and learning technologists collaborate to help students succeed as subject specialists. This book places WiD in its theoretical and cultural contexts and reports on initiatives taking place at a range of UK higher education institutions. Also includes surveys of current developments and scholarship in the US, Australia, Europe and elsewhere, making it of interest to both a UK and an international audience.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230237087 20160607
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- Universities into the 21st century
- 9780230237087 (pbk.)
- 0230237088 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: