The middle school mind : growing pains in early adolescent brains
- Marshall, Richard M.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2012.
- Physical description
- xi, 130 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
HQ796 .M32 2012
- Unknown HQ796 .M32 2012
- Neuman, Sharon.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Acknowledgments vi Foreword vii Chapter 1 - Middle School for Middler Schoolers 1 Chapter 2 - Middle Schoolers - Ages 12 - 14 5 Chapter 3 - Adolescent Brains 16 Chapter 4 - Identity Formation 25 Chapter 5 - Unusual Choices They Make 38 Chapter 6 - Predicaments They Get Themselves Into 47 Chapter 7 - As a Group They Want to be Heard 56 Chapter 8 - Relating to Peers and Others 66 Chapter 9 - The Gifted Teen's Adventurous Nature 82 Chapter 10 - Academic Challenges 89 Chapter 11 - Socially They Struggle at Times 98 Chapter 12 - Emotional Episodes and Psychological Concerns 109 Chapter 13 - Powerful Points from Middle Schoolers 122 Chapter 14 - Reflections 142 Appendix 152 Reference List 157 About the Authors.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book is a must read for anyone in close proximity to middle schoolers. Using actual events from the lives of real teenagers, the authors (a middle school principal and a child neuropsychologist) combine perspectives to provide an engaging, light-hearted journey into the adventures and misadventures of newly-minted teens. First, the authors put to rest some long-standing misconceptions about teenage behavior. However bizarre they appear to adults, teenagers' emotional reactions and their behaviors can no longer be explained solely by raging hormones. Using the stories as a backdrop, the authors provide emerging findings from developmental psychology and the neurosciences to explain why young teens do the things they do. The developing brain of a young teenager produces thoughts and feelings that are vastly different from an adult. Knowing this helps us to appreciate and accept the unique challenges they face.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Richard M. Marshall and Sharon Neuman.
- 9781610485845 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 161048584X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781610485852 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1610485858 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781610485869 (ebook)
- 1610485866 (ebook)