Courageous voices of immigrants and transnationals of color : counter narratives against discrimination in schools and beyond
E184 .A1 O74 2011
- Unknown E184 .A1 O74 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -152) and indexes.
- My language, my voice, my freedom. A counternarrative of an ELL immigrant of color living in the U.S. diaspora
- Change of context, change of identity. Price paid for being a transnational person of color with an accent
- In search of a place called home. The linguistic, cultural, and socioeconomic dislocations of immigrants and transnationals of color
- Facing racial and socioeconomic discrimination with courage
- See their humanity in their otherness an appeal for equal rights for immigrants and transnationals of color
- Critical pedagogy and the life struggles of immigrants and English learners of color
- Being and feeling in exile. The heavy cost of being different.
- Publisher's Summary
- Drawing on critical race theory and the courageous narratives of immigrants and transnationals of color, this book articulates how these individuals have been racially and linguistically discriminated against, and the extent to which they have resisted such discrimination. Pierre W. Orelus analyzes and situates their vibrant stories in the larger U.S. racial and socio-political context, where they and other marginalized groups have been racially and linguistically targeted despite their U.S. citizenship and status as university professors, thus complicating notions of class and citizenship. The book goes further to illuminate how U.S. foreign policy has played a key role in the dislocation and migration of many people, particularly immigrants of color, to foreign lands. It concludes with recommendations for combating racial, linguistic, and xenophobic discrimination against immigrants and transnational subjects of color.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Pierre W. Orelus ; foreword by Zeus Leonardo ; afterword by Richard Delgado.
- Black studies & critical thinking, 1947-5985 ; v. 4
- 9781433109683 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1433109689 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781433109690 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1433109697 (hardcover : alk. paper)