Contours of English and English language studies
- edited by Michael Adams, Anne Curzan.
- Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- iv, 371 p. : ill., maps ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|PE1404 .C63393 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 325-362) and index
- Publisher's Summary
- "Contours of English "assesses the state of English Language Studies, a thriving discipline located primarily in English departments and English curricula, at the beginning of the 21st century. Chapter by chapter, it is a book about aspects of English -- aspects that, in their own right, will fascinate readers of various disciplines, not only English and linguistics, but also American culture, history, sociology, education, and information sciences. Section by section and as a whole, the book considers ways in which the study of English language intersects withother concerns of the English curriculum (i.e., teaching and research in Anglophone literature and culture) as well as with the related public discourses and policy interventions. "Contours of English and English Language Studies "is organized into four parts representingfour particularly active and interesting fields central to English Language Studies. The fourparts in this book include American Dialects, the History of English, English Lexicography, and English and Education. Each part is structured neither miscellaneously nor as a debate, but rather as an unfolding disciplinary conversation, and includes three chapters by leading scholarsin the relevant subfield marked by different perspectives, methods, and material, as well as a response to those chapters by another leading scholar in the field. The responses are significant essays in themselves, not formulaic end-pieces to the sections; they point toward the future of English Language Studies, bearing the chapters in mind.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780472034666 20160607
- Publication date
- 9780472034666 (pbk.)
- 0472034669 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: