Higher education in the world 4 : higher education's commitment to sustainability : from understanding to action
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
- Physical description
- xxxvii, 341 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 28 cm.
- GUNI series on the social commitment of universities ; 4.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC191.9 .H55 2012||Unknown|
- Global University Network for Innovation.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 335-341).
- INTRODUCTION Foreword (GUNI) Institutional Presentations Higher Education gross enrolment ratios (GER) by country and human development index (GUNI) PART I: THE CONTEXT The World on the Edge Sustainability in Higher Education: A Global Overview of Progress and Possibilities PART II: REGIONAL PERSPECTIVES Higher Education and Sustainability in Sub-Saharan Africa Inside Looking Spotlight Issues Network Experience Higher Education and Sustainability in Arab States Inside Looking Spotlight Issues Network Experience Higher Education and Sustainability in Asia and Pacific Inside Looking Spotlight Issues Network Experience Higher Education and Sustainability in Europe Inside Looking Spotlight Issues Network Experience Higher Education and Sustainability in USA and Canada Inside Looking Spotlight Issues Network Experience Higher Education and Sustainability in Latin-America and the Caribbean Inside Looking Spotlight Issues Network Experience PART III: MOVING FROM UNDERSTANDING TO ACTION GUNI Study: Breaking barriers for transformation PART IV: VISIONS FOR TRANSFORMATION Educating for Living with the Earth Knowledge for a New Paradigm Open up to Society: Building Sustainability Together Learning for Change Research and Teaching for Sustainable Livelihoods Universities in Transition PART V: STATISTICAL APPENDIX (GUNI) PART VI: BIBLIOGRAPHY.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This fourth report, Higher Education's Commitment to Sustainability: From Understanding to Action, includes papers by 85 authors from 38 countries. The publication presents the current situation and its implication for higher education (HE), analyzing the link between sustainability and HE. It shows a map of how the regions are advancing with regard to the subject; complemented with trending topics, networks' experiences and good practices. The report offers different visions that contribute to the transformation of HE. The publication also includes a study to identify the main barriers that prevent the transformation of higher education institutions (HEIs) towards contributing to the sustainability paradigm, and highlight possible solutions in a global framework to advance from understanding to action. HEIs can play a significant role in building a sustainable paradigm. They may help in facing local and global challenges, facilitating society to answer major global challenges. Their vision and action could be reinforced with a role review towards the creation and distribution of socially relevant knowledge in education and research and in the relationship with communities. They can support, and even anticipate, ways for action to play a proactive and committed role in rebuilt societies. The final goal of this report is to stimulate debate among all those whose different links with the world of HE could contribute to enriching the discussion. We aim to stimulate serious and profound thought, which will open opportunities that should be jointly analyzed, discussed and hopefully used by academics, university leaders, policy makers, practitioners and members of civil society. GUNI's mission is to strengthen the role of higher education in society, contributing to the renewal of the visions, missions and policies of higher education across the world under a vision of public service, relevance and social responsibility.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Higher education in the world four
- Higher education's commitment to sustainability
- GUNI series on the social commitment of universities ; 4
- "Global University Network for Innovation."
Browse related items
Start at call number: