Children learning second languages
- Annamaria Pinter.
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Physical description
- xv, 296 p. : ill ; 23 cm.
- Research and practice in applied linguistics.
- EDUC-438-01 -- Second Language Acquisition Theories
- Valdes, Guadalupe M
Education Library (Cubberley)
On reserve: Ask at circulation desk
|P118.2 .P56 2011||2-day loan|
- Pinter, Annamaria.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 267-292) and index.
- List of Tables Series Editors' Preface Acknowledgements Introduction PART I: BACKGROUND TO CHILD SECOND LANGUAGE ACQUISITION AND PEDAGOGY Theories of Child Development Language Learning Processes in Childhood: First and Second Languages Contexts for Language Acquisition in Childhood PART II: OVERVIEW OF RESEARCH STUDIES Child SLA and Pedagogy: A Broad Overview of Approaches to Research Case Studies: Interactions between Research and Practice PART III: ISSUES IN FUTURE RESEARCH AND PRACTICE Exploring Ethical and Methodological Issues in Research Involving Children Some Feasible Studies for Future Research PART IV: RESOURCES Resources in the Area of Child SLA and Pedagogy References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230203426 20160608
- Publisher's Summary
- Children Learning Second Languages is a four-part comprehensive guide to current research and debate related to second language learning in childhood, the age factor and the relationship between research and classroom practice. * Part 1 covers child development, L1 and L2 language learning processes in childhood and offers a guide to contexts from foreign language learning at school to immersion education and bilingual/trilingual acquisition at home. * Part 2 gives a bird's eye view of current research in the area of child SLA and pedagogy highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of different traditions and types of research. This is followed by a close examination of eight case studies. * Part 3 is devoted to issues of future research priorities by discussing methodological and ethical difficulties in child focused research and outlining 15 feasible studies for the future. * Part 4 offers some resources including hands-on teaching materials, handbooks, theoretical books, details of organizations and projects in the broad area of child second language learning.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230203426 20160608
- ELT for children continues to be a big growth area worldwide. This is a comprehensive survey of key concepts specific to language teaching for children with up to date research findings, plus listings of resources for research and practice.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230203419 20160608
- Publication date
- Research and practice in applied linguistics
- 9780230203426 (pbk.)
- 0230203426 (pbk.)
- 9780230203419 (hbk.)
- 0230203418 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: