International practices in special education : debates and challenges
- Margret A. Winzer and Kas Mazurek, editors.
- Washington, DC : Gallaudet University Press, 2011.
- Physical description
- vii, 319 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3965 .I63 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Margret A. Winzer and Kas Mazurek combine two disciplines in this collection, comparative and international studies and special education, to explore the ways that diverse nations respond to persons who are exceptional. Their learned contributors also explore the changing parameters of special education, employing comparative studies theories and methods to document, explore, discuss, and analyze social and educational inclusion."International Practices in Special Education: Debates and Challenges" travels the world to examine the progress of special education, from inclusive reform in Canada, "education for all" in the United Kingdom, the reform-restructure-renew movement in Poland to the journey from awareness to action in the United States. Chapters describe the challenges and opportunities in the United Arab Emirates; conflicts regarding educational welfare in South Korea; new perspectives on special needs and inclusive education in Japan; facing inclusion in India; making the invisibles visible in Pakistan; problems and prospects in Nigeria; special needs education in Ethiopia; and the developments, prospects, and demands of special education in a rising China. "One step forward, two steps backward" describes Israel's special education issues. Germany's special education receives an international perspective; and education policy and pedagogy for students with disabilities in Australia, completes the analyses in this remarkable, comprehensive work of scholarship.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781563685095 20160607
- Publication date
- 9781563685095 (hardback)
- 1563685094 (hardcover)
- 9781563685132 (e-book)
- 1563685132 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: