Americans by heart : undocumented Latino students and the promise of higher education
- William Pérez.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 191 p. ; 23 cm.
- Multicultural education series (New York, N.Y.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC2670.6 .P47 2012||Unknown|
- Pérez, William, 1974-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 155-176) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Americans by Heart examines the plight of undocumented Latino students as they navigate the educational and legal tightrope presented by their immigration status. Many of these students are accepted to attend some of our best colleges and universities but cannot afford the tuition to do so because they are not eligible for financial aid or employment. For the few that defy the odds and manage to graduate, their status continues to present insurmountable barriers to employment. This timely and compelling account brings to light the hard work and perseverance of these students and their families; their commitment to education and civic participation; and their deep sense of uncertainty and marginality. Offering a rich in-depth analysis, the author presents a new framework for educational policies that recognizes the merit and potential of undocumented Latino students and links their situation to larger social and policy issues of immigration reform and higher education access.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780807752845 20160607
- Publication date
- Multicultural education series
- 9780807752838 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807752835 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807752845 (alk. paper)
- 0807752843 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: