Pervasive vulnerabilities : sexual harassment in school
LC212.8 .R34 2012
- Unknown LC212.8 .R34 2012
- Liston, Delores D.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Learning sex in schools : sites of pervasive vulnerabilities
- Once a slut, always a slut : the impact of sexual harassment on women's lives
- The new hello and girls views of sexual harassment in schools
- It don't hurt anyone, we're only fooling around : boys' views of sexual harassment in school
- Bet encourages immorality : teachers views of the current generation of students
- Pervasive vulnerabilities, hidden in plain sight.
- Publisher's Summary
- "Pervasive Vulnerabilities" explores the beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors of adolescent girls and boys and female teachers in order to expose the continuing persistence of sexual harassment in the United States. The book addresses the sexual double standard that continues to hold girls and women accountable for male sexual aggression, and demonstrates that this double standard still dismisses males who harass young women with a cavalier boys will be boys attitude, while castigating young women if they express an interest in sexual expression. It discusses issues of sexual harassment through four domains: its impact on women's lives, sometimes long after high school; the perceptions of teachers who interact with adolescents; the experiences of young girls in middle and high school; and the behaviors and attitudes of young men in middle and high school. This book is critical reading for all pre-service and in-service teachers and is indispensable in classrooms devoted to the topic.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Regina Rahimi & Delores D. Liston.
- Adolescent cultures, school and society, 1091-1464 ; v. 54
- 9781433112805 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1433112809 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781433112799 (paoerback : alk. paper)
- 1433112795 (paoerback : alk. paper)
- 9781453902585 (e-book)
- 1453902589 (e-book)