The birth of a nation [videorecording] : D.W. Griffith's American epic
- Kino Classics ; directed by D.W. Griffith ; screenplay by D.W. Grifith and Frank E. Woods ; produced for video by Bret Wood.
- English. Restorations are silent films with music score and English intertitles.
- Deluxe 3-disc ed.
- New York, NY : Kino Lorber, 
- Physical description
- 3 videodiscs (1 Blu-ray) (192 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- FILMSTUD-4-01 -- Introduction to Film Study
- Levi, Pavle
At the library
Art & Architecture Library (Bowes)
- Griffith, D. W. (David Wark), 1875-1948.
- Woods, Frank E.
- Bitzer, G. W., 1872-1944.
- Walthall, Henry B. (Henry Brazeale), 1878-1936.
- Gish, Lillian, 1893-1993.
- Marsh, Mae, 1895-1968.
- Lewis, Ralph, 1872-1937.
- Reid, Wallace, 1891-1923.
- Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra.
- Kino Classics (Firm)
- Kino Lorber, Inc.
- 1: The 2011 restoration (Blu-ray)
- 2: The 1993 restoration and The making of 'The birth of a nation'
- 3: Bonus films and documents.
- Nearly 100 years after its initial release, remains one of the most controversial films ever made and a landmark achievement in film history that continues to fascinate and enrage audiences. It is the epic story of two families, one northern and one southern, during and after the Civil War. D.W. Griffith's masterful direction combines brilliant battle scenes and tender romance with a vicious portrayal of African-Americans.
- Release date
- Production date
- Title Variation
- Title on container: D.W. Griffith's The birth of a nation
- Title from container.
- Based on the novel The Clansman by Thomas Dixon.
- Originally released as a motion picture in 1915.
- Special features: Disc 1. Spoken introductions by D.W. Griffith and Walter Huston (including the newly rediscovered intermission sequence) -- Disc 2. "The making of The birth of a nation" documentary -- Disc 3. Prelude to The birth of a nation (1930) ; Civil War shorts directed by D.W. Griffith: In the border states, The house with closed shutters, The fugitive, His trust, His trust fulfilled, Swords and hearts, The battle ; text features: "New York vs. The birth of a nation", excerpts from the novel The clansman, Photoplay Magazine article: D.W. Griffith on the Making of the birth of a nation "The story of David Mark Griffith" (part V) ; posters, ads, and souvenir programs gallery.
- Production Credits
- Musical score compiled and performed by the Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra.
- Lillian Gish, Mae Marsh, Henry B. Walthall, Ralph Lewis ,Wallace Reid, Miriam Cooper, George Siegmann, Walter Long, Robert Harron, Mary Alden, Joseph Henabery, Elmer Clifton, Josephine Crowell, Spottiswoode Aitken, Donald Crisp.
- Blu-ray; 2.0 stereo and DTS-HD Master audio 5.1; requires Blu-ray player.
- DVD; Dolby Digital 5.1 or 2.0 stereo; NTSC; 1.33:1 aspect ratio, 1920x1080p.
- Related Work
- Dixon, Thomas, Jr., 1864-1946 Clansman.
- Fugitive (Motion picture : 1910)
- Included Work
- In the Border states.
- House with closed shutters.
- His trust.
- His trust fulfilled.
- Swords and hearts.
- Publisher Number
- K835 Kino Classics
Browse related items
Start at call number: