Evidence-based addiction treatment [electronic resource]
- edited by Peter M. Miller.
- 1st ed.
- Burlington, MA : Elsevier/Academic Press, 2009.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xviii, 465 p.) : ill.
- Miller, Peter M. (Peter Michael), 1942-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Front Cover; Evidence-Based Addiction Treatment; Copyright Page; Contents; Preface; Contributors; Part 1 Introduction to Evidence-Based Practices; Part 2 Clinical Assessment and Treatment Monitoring; Part 3 Treatment Methods; Part 4 Special Populations and Applications; Part 5 Evidence-Based Treatment in Action; Part 6 A Look Toward the Future; Index.
- Publisher's Summary
- The addictions treatment field is currently undergoing a period of increased scrutiny, upheaval and change. The growing emphasis on treatment accountability and cost effectiveness is leading to major changes in standards of care. Inconsistent practices based solely on clinical intuition rather than hard scientific evidence of treatment efficacy are rapidly becoming unacceptable. Translating science-based treatments into clinical settings is an important priority in the addictions field and has been the subject of an influential Institute of Medicine report. Substance abuse treatment programs are now mandated to provide evidence-based treatments, with funding and insurance reimbursement contingent on their doing so. "Evidence-Based Addiction Treatment" provides a state-of-the-art compilation of assessment and treatment practices with proven effectiveness. A substantial body of evidence is presented to provide students, academics and clinicians with specific science-based treatments that work. Written at a level appropriate for a variety of audiences, research studies are discussed but highly sophisticated knowledge in research methodology is not required. This book covers treatments that work; explicit case examples; contributions by well-known researchers on addiction treatment; simple ways to evaluate treatment effectiveness; and, accompanying web-site with exam questions.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780123743480 20160607
- Publication date
- Available in another form
- Print version: Evidence-based addiction treatment. 1st ed. Burlington, MA : Elsevier/Academic Press, 2009 ( 9780123743480 ) ( 0123743486 )
- 9780080921907 (electronic bk.)
- 0080921906 (electronic bk.)
- 9780123743480 (electronic bk.)
- 0123743486 (electronic bk.)