An agenda for equity : responding to the needs of diverse learners
- Searetha Smith-Collins.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2012.
- Physical description
- xii, 143 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC1200 .S65 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 139-142).
- Preface 6 Introduction 12 Chapter 1: Identifying the Need The Optimal Mix: Responding to the Needs of Students 25 From Parts to Whole 30 Revisiting Past Practice 33 Chapter 2 Understanding the Need Delving Deeper into Response to Intervention 42 Adoption Trends 44 The Promise of RtI Chapter 3: A Glance into the "Regular" Classroom 52 Sharpening the Focus 53 Teacher Assessment 56 Leadership Matters 59 Chapter 4: Meeting the Need Promising Practices Snapshot: High School 63 Snapshot: National/State Pre-K Network 70 Snapshot: School District 71 Snapshot: An Affective Model 77 Snapshot: RtI and Gifted Education 79 Chapter 5: The Black Male Agenda An Out-of-School Snapshot: The Bridge 84 Expanding the Agenda: Building a New System 87 of Opportunity for Youth Implications for Today 93 Chapter 6: Assessing the Outcomes 97 National Outcomes (Academic) 98 National Outcomes (Behavioral) 99 Measuring Success 100 Chapter 7: The Learning Target Teach, Test, and Hope for the Best 102 Moving from Random Acts of Curriculum and Instruction 105 Common Language, Common Mission 107 Optimizing Curriculum for All 109 Fitting the Pieces Together 112 The Design Process 114 Curriculum Architects 116 Deeper Levels of Knowledge and Thinking 119 Chapter 8: Avoiding Struggles and Pitfalls 122 Refining the Plan 123 Evaluating the Impact and Results 124 Planning to Make Change Happen: The Payoff 126 Unexpected Outcomes 127 Chapter 9: Queries and Opportunities 133 Recommendations 134 Chapter 10: Transitioning to Schools of the Future 144 Teaching This Generation of Students 148 The Moral Imperative 150 Chapter 11: Understanding the Landscape Lessons Learned: Bringing Order to the Potential of Chaos 153 Parallel Modeling 155 Chapter 12: Meet the Kids 161 The Beginning of Shortcomings 164 A Recipe for Potential 166 Final Thoughts 172 References 174 Appendix: Resources A Curriculum/RtI Framework Design Tool 179.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The vast numbers of new educational policies, programs, and practices being implemented as educational reform in American public schools have not been analyzed for short or long-term effectiveness or impact on students and their learning. Not only are conditions for many learners still a concern, new information about conditions for students who are not under-performing informs us that they are falling short of the desired mark. This calls for expert educators, researchers, school leaders, teachers, families, students, and interested others to determine the degree to which policies and practices have a positive impact on student outcomes, and the aims of public education. Using Response to Intervention as an innovative model, An Agenda for Equity contributes to filling the void by analyzing the essence of educational reforms for increasing enduring, equitable effectiveness, and improving conditions and teaching and learning for both teachers and students.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- "Published in partnership with the American Association of School Administrators."
- 9781610487238 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1610487230 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781610487245 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1610487249 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781610487252 (electronic)
- 1610487257 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: