Nonlinear water waves with applications to wave-current interactions and tsunamis
- Adrian Constantin.
- Philadelphia, Pa. : Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, c2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 321 p. : ill. (some col.), col. maps ; 25 cm.
- CBMS-NSF regional conference series in applied mathematics 81.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA927 .C596 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 299-317) and index.
- Preface-- 1. Introduction-- 2. Preliminaries-- 3. Wave-current interactions-- 4. Fluid kinematics for wave trains-- 5. Solitary water waves-- 6. Breaking waves-- 7. Modeling tsunamis-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781611971866 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- This overview of some of the main results and recent developments in nonlinear water waves presents fundamental aspects of the field and discusses several important topics of current research interest. It contains selected information about water-wave motion for which advanced mathematical study can be pursued, enabling readers to derive conclusions that explain observed phenomena to the greatest extent possible. The author discusses the underlying physical factors of such waves and explores the physical relevance of the mathematical results that are presented. The book is intended for mathematicians, physicists and engineers interested in the interplay between physical concepts and insights and the mathematical ideas and methods that are relevant to specific water-wave phenomena. The material is an expanded version of the author's lectures delivered at the NSF-CBMS Regional Research Conference in the Mathematical Sciences organized by the Mathematics Department of the University of Texas-Pan American in 2010.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781611971866 20160607
- Publication date
- CBMS-NSF Regional conference series in applied mathematics ; 81
- "An expanded version of the author's lectures delivered at the NSF-CBMS international research conference organized by the Mathematics Department in the University of Texas-Pan American, Edinburgh, Texas, during the week of May17-21, 2010"--P. xi.
- 9781611971866 (pbk.)
- 1611971861 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: