Animal welfare in animal agriculture : husbandry, stewardship, and sustainability in animal production
- edited by Wilson G. Pond, Fuller W. Bazer, and Bernard E. Rollin.
- Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xvi, 313 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
At the library
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|HV4757 .A55 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ROLES OF ANIMALS IN SOCIETY Perspectives on Emergence of Contemporary Animal Agriculture in the Mid-Twentieth Century: The Decline of Husbandry and the Rise of the Industrial Model Bernard E. Rollin and Paul B. Thompson Contributions of Farm and Laboratory Animals to Society Wilson G. Pond, R. Anne Pearson, Kevin R. Pond, Christian E. Newcomer, Christopher Boleman, Aaron Alejandro, and Cherie Carrabba Contributions of Animals in Human Service Duane Ullrey TREATMENT OF ANIMALS AND SOCIETAL CONCERNS The Opinions and Recommendations of One Particular Study Group: The Pew Commission on Industrial Farm Animal Production Robert P. Martin Defining Agricultural Animal Welfare: Varying Viewpoints and Approaches Bernard E. Rollin, Donald M. Broom, David Fraser, Gail C. Golab, Charles Arnot, and Paul Shapiro Contemporary Animal Agriculture: Rural Community Concerns in the United States David Andrews Implementing Effective Practices and Programs to Assess Animal Welfare John J. McGlone and Temple Grandin, Animal Welfare: Synthesizing Contemporary Animal Agriculture/Engineering and Animal Comfort and Social Responsibility Bernard E. Rollin, John J. McGlone, Judith L. Capper, Kenneth Anderson, and Terry Engle SUSTAINABLE PLANT AND ANIMAL AGRICULTURE FOR ANIMAL WELFARE Symbiosis of Plants, Animals, and Microbes James Wells and Vincent Varel Food Safety Issues in Animal Source Foods Related to Animal Health and Welfare Jarret D. Stopforth, John N. Sofos, Steve L. Taylor, and Joseph L. Baumert Animal Welfare in the Context of Ecological Sustainability Frederick Kirschenmann Competition between Animals and Humans for Cultivated Crops: Livestock Production and Our Food Supply Fred Owens and Christa Hanson Crop Residues and Other Feed Resources: Inedible for Humans but Valuable for Animals Gregory Lardy and J.S. Caton Welfare, Health, and Biological Efficiency of Animals through Genetics and Biotechnology Fuller W. Bazer, Duane C. Kraemer, and Alan McHughen.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781439848425 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- What constitutes animal welfare? With animals being used for companionship, service, research, food, fiber, and by-products, animal welfare is a topic of great interest and importance to society. As the world's population continues to increase, a major challenge for society is the maintenance of a strong and viable food system, which is linked to the well-being and comfort of food animals. Animal Welfare in Animal Agriculture: Husbandry, Stewardship, and Sustainability in Animal Production explores the pressing issue of farm animal welfare in animal production systems in the United States and globally. A framework for open discussion on animal welfare, this multidisciplinary book brings together the perspectives of 40 highly qualified and recognized experts in their respective fields. Fourteen chapters address a range of topics that includes ethics, sociology, food safety, ecology, feed resources, biotechnology, government regulations, and sustainability, as well as animal comfort, health, and contributions to society. The book also offers a historical perspective on the growth of animal agriculture from family farms to industrial animal agriculture-and the impact this has had on society. Illustrating the diversity of viewpoints, the concept of animal welfare is defined from the perspectives of an ethicist and philosopher, a research scientist, a veterinarian, an industrialist, and an activist, as well as from the perspective of sustainability and product quality. Written primarily for students, but also highly relevant for professionals in varying fields of academia and industry, this timely book reveals important insights into animal welfare and animal agriculture. Unique in its depth, breadth, and balance, it underscores the need for dialogue on wide-ranging and often contentious issues related to animal production systems.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781439848425 20160607
- Publication date
- 9781439848425 (hbk. : acid-free paper)
- 1439848424 (hbk. : acid-free paper
Browse related items
Start at call number: