No undocumented child left behind : Plyler v. Doe and the education of undocumented schoolchildren
KF4217 .I46 O45 2012
- Unknown KF4217 .I46 O45 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 159-188) and index.
- Why Plyler matters
- The story of Plyler v. Doe : the education of undocumented children, and the polity
- The implementation of Plyler v. Doe
- The political economy of the Dream Act and the legislative process : Doe goes to college
- Conclusion : the danger and the discourse (or, why Plyler should have been decided upon preemption grounds).
- Publisher's Summary
- The 1982 U. S. Supreme Court case of Plyler v. Doe, which made it possible for undocumented children to enroll in Texas public schools, was a watershed moment for immigrant rights in the United States. The Court struck down both a state statute denying funding for education to undocumented children and a municipal school district's attempt to charge an annual $1,000 tuition fee for each undocumented student to compensate for the lost state funding. Yet while this case has not returned to the Supreme Court, it is frequently contested at the state and local level. In No Undocumented Child Left Behind, Michael A. Olivas tells a fascinating history of the landmark case, examining how, 30 years later, Plyler v. Doe continues to suffer from implementation issues and requires additional litigation and vigilance to enforce the ruling. He takes a comprehensive look at the legal regime it established regarding the education of undocumented school children, moves up through its implementation, including direct and indirect attacks on it, and closes with the ongoing, highly charged debates over the Development, Relief, and Education for Minors (DREAM) Act, which aims to give conditional citizenship to undocumented college students who graduated from U.S. high schools and have been in the country for at least five years.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Michael A. Olivas.
- Citizenship and migration in the Americas
- 9780814762448 (cl : alk. paper)
- 0814762441 (cl : alk. paper)
- 9780814762455 (ebook)
- 081476245X (ebook)
- 9780814762677 (ebook)
- 0814762670 (ebook)