Reconceptualizing the literacies in adolescents' lives : bridging the everyday, academic divide
- edited by Donna E. Alvermann, Kathleen A. Hinchman.
- 3rd ed.
- New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- xvi, 279 p. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1631 .R296 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword Reconceptualizing Teacher Knowledge and Student Achievement Randy Bomer Introduction Kathleen A. Hinchman and Donna E. Alvermann Part I: Understanding Youth's Everyday Literacies 1 Touchstone Chapter: Playing for Real: Texts and the Performance of Identity Lorri Nielsen 2 Becoming Life-Long Readers: Insights from a Comic Book Reader Stergios G. Botzakis 3 Low-Income Youth's (Public) Internet Practices in South America: Potential Lessons for Educators in the U.S. and Other Post-Industrial Nations Eliane Rubinstein-Avila 4 Teacher Response: Lessons Learned from Young People's Everyday Literacies Anne Bulcher and Margaret Moran Part II: Integrating Everyday and Academic Literacies 5 Touchstone Chapter: "Struggling" Adolescents' Engagement in Mulitmediating: Countering the Institutional Construction of Incompetence David O'Brien 6 Thinking with Forensic Science: A Content Analysis of Forensic Comic Books and Graphic Novels Barbara Guzzetti & Marcia Mardis 7 Reclaiming and Rebuilding the Writer Identities of Black Adolescent Males Marcelle M. Haddix 8 Teacher Response: Bridging Everyday Literacies with Academic Literacy McKenzie Weaver Part III: Addressing Sociocultural and Identity Issues in Adolescents' Literacy Lives 9 Touchstone Chapter: Exploring Race, Language, and Culture in Critical Literacy Classrooms Bob Fecho Bette Davis Renee Moore 10 Re-Writing the Stock Stories of Urban Adolescents: Autobiography as a Social and Performative Practice at the InterSections of Identities Kelly Wissman Lalitha Vasudevan 11 "In This Little Town Nothing Much Ever Happens, But Someday Something Will": Reading Young Adult Literature from the Blue Ridge Foothills Gay Ivey 12 Teacher Response: Addressing Sociocultural and Identity Issues in Adolescents' Literacy Lives Justin Claypool George White Part IV: Changing Teachers, Teaching Changes 13 Touchstone Chapter: Adolescents' Multiple Identities and Teacher Professional Development Alfred W. Tatum 14 Reconceptualizing Together: Exploring Participatory and Productive Critical Media Literacies in a Collaborative Teacher Research Group Eli Tucker-Raymond Daisy Torres-Petrovich Keith Dumbleton Ellen Damlich 15 Baby Steps toward Web 1.5: Middle School Teachers' Personal Learning and Explorations of Pop Culture and Digital Literacy Tools for Classroom Literacy Instruction Margaret C. Hagood 16 Teacher Response: Professional Development to Reconceptualize Literacy Instruction Maryanne Desmond Barrett Elizabeth G. Mascia Afterword Donna E. Alvermann Kathleen A. Hinchman Contributors Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415892926 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- Like previous editions, the third edition of Reconceptualizing the Literacies in Adolescents' Lives invites middle- and high-school educators to move toward a broad, generative view of adolescent literacies. Recognizing that digital media, social networking phenomena are now central in adolescents' lives, what is different is the focus in this edition on bridging students' everyday literacies and subject matter learning. Four chapters from earlier editions serve as touchstone texts, honoring youth's diverse experiences and illustrating how young people's literacies are enacted, situated, and mediated in various locales; nine new chapters consider how these themes are lived in today's schools and in the rapidly changing world outside of school This edition features heightened attention multimodal meaning construction, more discussion of practical implications of the ideas presented, and co-authored teacher commentaries at the end of each section. A Companion Website, new for this edition, facilitates practical application of the text's key ideas, with discussion questions, and links to instructional activities, blogs, additional readings and viewings, and interactive web pages, and videos.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415892926 20160607
- Publication date
- 9780415892926 (pbk. :alk. paper)
- 0415892929 (pbk. :alk. paper)
- 9780415892919 (hbk. :alk. paper)
- 0415892910 (hbk. :alk. paper)
- 9780203817285 (ebk)
- 0203817281 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: