Creating campus cultures : fostering success among racially diverse student populations
- edited by Samuel D. Museus and Uma M. Jayakumar.
- New York, NY : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- xi, 228 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3727 .C74 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword Shaun R. Harper Acknowledgements 1. An Introduction, Uma M. Jayakumar & Samuel D. Museus 2. The Campus Racial Culture: A Critical Race Counterstory, Samuel D. Museus, Joanna N. Ravello, & Blanca E. Vega 3. Creating a Culture of Inquiry around Equity and Student Success, Keith A. Witham & Estela M. Bensimon 4. Moving from Cultures of Individualism to Cultures of Collectivism in Support of Students of Color, Douglas A. Guiffrida, Stephanie J. Waterman, Judy M. Kiyama, Samuel D. Museus 5. Fostering Cultures of Inclusion in the Classroom: From Marginality to Mattering, Stephen John Quaye & Stephanie H. Chang 6. Cultural Integration in Campus Subcultures: Where the Cultural, Academic, and Social Spheres of College Life Collide, Samuel D. Museus, Son-Ca Lam, ChuYu Huang, Pratna Kem, & Kevin Tan 7. The Role of Student Agency, Student Empowerment, and Social Praxis in Shaping Supportive Cultures at Traditionally White institutions, Uma M. Jayakumar 8. Shared Leadership that Creates Campus Cultures that Support Students of Color, Adrianna J. Kezar 9. Engaging Faculty in the Process of Cultural Change in Support of Diverse Student Populations, Jay R. Dee & Cheryl J. Daly 10. Cultivating Campus Cultures that Support Racially Diverse and Other Underserved Students: A Model of Multi-Institutional Transformation, Glenn Gabbard & Sharon Singleton.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415888202 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- Many colleges and universities have not engaged in the critical self-examination of their campuses necessary for effectively serving racially diverse student populations. This timely edited collection provides insights into how campus cultures can and do shape the experiences and outcomes of their increasingly diverse college student populations. By cultivating values, beliefs, and assumptions that focus on including, validating, and creating equitable outcomes among diverse undergraduate students, an institution can foster their success.While attention to campus climate is critical for gauging the nature of an institution's culture and how students are experiencing the campus environment, changes in climate alone will not lead to holistic and deep rooted institutional transformation. Moving beyond previous explorations of campus racial climates, Creating Campus Cultures addresses the considerable institutionally embedded obstacles practitioners face as they attempt to transform entrenched institutional cultures to meet the needs of diverse student bodies. A broad range of chapters include voices of students, new research, practical experiences, and application of frameworks that are conducive to success. This book will help student affairs and higher education administrators navigate this increasingly difficult terrain by providing practical advice on how to foster success among racial minority students and enact long-term, holistic change at any institution.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415888202 20160607
- Publication date
- 9780415888202 (paperback)
- 0415888204 (paperback)
- 9780415888196 (hardback)
- 0415888190 (hardback)
- 9780203832417 (ebk)
- 0203832418 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: