Philosophy and the environment
- edited by Anthony O'Hear.
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- vii, 277 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Royal Institute of Philosophy supplement ; 69.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The future of environmental ethics / Holmes Rolston III
- Beyond anthropocentrism / Robin Attfield
- Foundations of a general ethics : selves, sentient beings, and other responsively cohesive structures / Warwick Fox
- Darwinism and environmentalism / Brian Garvey
- The ugly truth : negative aesthetics and environment / Emily Brady
- The temporal and spatial scales of global climate change and the limits of individualistic and rationalistic ethics / J. Baird Callicott
- Moral foundations for global environmental and climate justice / Chukwumerije Okereke
- Aesthetic appreciation of nature and environmentalism / Allen Carlson
- Climate change and causal inefficacy : why go green when it makes no difference? / James Garvey
- A reasonable frugality / David Wiggins
- Carbon trading : unethical, unjust and ineffective? / Simon Caney and Cameron Hepburn
- Sustainable consumption, climate change and future generations / Dieter Helm
- Depoliticized environments : the end of nature, climate change and the post-political condition / Erik Swyngedouw.
- Publisher's Summary
- Environmental questions are among the most pressing and hotly debated of our time. The issues are, in an immediate sense, political and scientific, but one's stance on them also reflects basic philosophical and ethical commitments. For its annual lecture series of 2010-11, The Royal Institute of Philosophy invited a number of distinguished philosophers and environmentalists from a wide range of backgrounds to reflect on their concerns, and this book is based on their lectures.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781107696075 20160606
- Publication date
- Royal Institute of Philosophy supplement, 1358-2461 ; 69
- Published for the Royal Institute of Philosophy's 2010-2011 annual lecture series.
- 9781107696075 (pbk.)
- 1107696070 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: