Low-dimensional and symplectic topology
- Michael Usher, editor.
- Providence, R.I. : American Mathematical Society, c2011.
- Physical description
- ix, 228 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Proceedings of symposia in pure mathematics ; v. 82.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA1 .A626 V.82||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Publisher's Summary
- Every eight years since 1961, the University of Georgia has hosted a major international topology conference aimed at disseminating important recent results and bringing together researchers at different stages of their careers. This volume contains the proceedings of the 2009 conference, which includes survey and research articles concerning such areas as knot theory, contact and symplectic topology, 3-manifold theory, geometric group theory, and equivariant topology. Among other highlights of the volume, a survey article by Stefan Friedl and Stefano Vidussi provides an accessible treatment of their important proof of Taubes' conjecture on symplectic structures on the product of a 3-manifold and a circle, and an intriguing short article by Dennis Sullivan opens the door to the use of modern algebraic-topological techniques in the study of finite-dimensional models of famously difficult problems in fluid dynamics. Continuing what has become a tradition, this volume contains a report on a problem session held at the conference, discussing a variety of open problems in geometric topology.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780821852354 20160607
- Low-dimensional topology > Congresses.
- Symplectic and contact topology > Congresses.
- Manifolds (Mathematics) > Congresses.
- Simplexes (Mathematics) > Congresses.
- Manifolds and cell complexes -- Proceedings, conferences, collections, etc.
- Group theory and generalizations -- Special aspects of infinite or finite groups -- Braid groups; Artin groups.
- Differential geometry -- Symplectic geometry, contact geometry -- Lagrangian submanifolds; Maslov index.
- Differential geometry -- Symplectic geometry, contact geometry -- Global theory of symplectic and contact manifolds.
- Algebraic topology -- Homotopy theory -- Loop space machines, operads.
- Manifolds and cell complexes -- Low-dimensional topology -- Knots and links in $S^3$.
- Manifolds and cell complexes -- Low-dimensional topology -- Invariants of knots and 3-manifolds.
- Manifolds and cell complexes -- Differential topology -- Symplectic and contact topology.
- Manifolds and cell complexes -- Differential topology -- Equivariant algebraic topology of manifolds.
- Publication date
- Proceedings of symposia in pure mathematics ; v. 82
- Papers presented at the 2009 Georgia International Topology Conference, held at the University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, May 18-29, 2009.
- 9780821852354 (alk. paper)
- 0821852353 (alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: