The anti-Emile : reflections on the theory and practice of education against the principles of Rousseau
- Uniform Title
- Reflexions sur la théorie & la pratique de l'éducation. English
- Gerdil, Giacinto Sigismondo, 1718-1802.
- South Bend, Ind. : St. Augustine's Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xlii, 174 p. ; 24 cm.
LB575 .G43 2011
- Unknown LB575 .G43 2011
- Frank, William A.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Rousseau's seductive rhetoric
- Emile is an unreal abstraction
- Whether contrariety is part of man's original nature
- Whether the self is ordered to other selves from the beginning
- Whether self-interest is a sufficient foundation for moral social relationships
- Love of honor and the attraction to an idea of perfection are natural inclinations
- The attraction to moral virtue is a natural inclination
- Whether society corrupts man's natural goodness
- Whether society invents the fear of death and makes men cowards
- Whether laws and society reduce man to a servile state of dependency
- On the natural love of order and origins of society
- Man's reason, the natural analogue to animal instinct, requires education
- Whether children are capable of understanding moral categories
- On the importance of the fear of God in the moral education of children
- On the authority of fathers and the obedience of children
- On reasoning with children
- Rousseau's dialogue misrepresents how to reason morally with a child
- On a child's capacity for handling ideas
- On teaching fables
- On the study of languages, and especially latin
- On the study of history
- On the study of geography
- On the study of geometry
- Francis Bacon's observations on studying and reading
- The intellectual temperament of Rousseau's student
- On the native climate of the ideal student
- On the ideal student's physical constitution
- On the social status of Rousseau's student
- Insufficiency of philosophy for forming a national ethos.
- Publication date
- H.S. Gerdil ; translation, introductory essay, and notes by William A. Frank.
- 9781587310362 (clothbound : alk. paper)
- 1587310368 (clothbound : alk. paper)