SAT wars : the case for test-optional admissions
- edited by Joseph A. Soares ; foreword by David Hawkins.
- New York, NY : Teachers College Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiii, 226 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2353.2 .S22 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- What can a college admissions officer safely predict about the future of a 17-year-old? Are the best and the brightest students the ones who can check off the most correct boxes on a multiple-choice exam? Or are there better ways of measuring ability and promise? In this penetrating and revealing look at high-stakes standardized admissions tests, Joseph Soares demonstrates the far-reaching and mostly negative impact of the tests on American life and calls for nothing less than a national policy change. SAT Wars presents a roadmap for rethinking college admissions that moves us past the statistically weak and socially divisive SAT/ACT. The author advocates for evaluation tools with a greater focus on what youth actually accomplish in high school as a more reliable indicator of qualities that really matter in one's life and to one's ability to contribute to society. This up-to-date book features contributions by well-known experts, including a piece from Daniel Golden, who won a Pulitzer Prize for his reporting in the Wall Street Journal on admissions, and a chapter on alternative tests from Robert Sternberg, who is the worlds most-cited living authority on educational research. As we continue to debate the use and misuse of standardized testing, SAT Wars will be important reading for a wide audience, including college administrators and faculty, high school guidance counselors, education journalists, and parents.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780807752630 20160607
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- SAT wars : the case for test-optional college admissions
- 9780807752623 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807752622 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807752630 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807752630 (hbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: