Who goes to school? : exploring exclusion in Indian education
- edited by R. Govinda.
- 1st ed.
- New Delhi : Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Physical description
- xxvi, 419 p. : ill., maps ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA1152 .W46 2011||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Foreword-- Preface-- Acknowledgements-- List of Abbreviations-- 1. Access to Elementary Education: Analytical Overview (R. Govinda and Madhumita Bandyopadhyay)-- 2. Education and Social Equity in Elementary Education (Mona Sedwal and Sangeeta Kamat)-- 3. Gender Equity in Education: A Review of Trends and Factors (Madhumita Bandyopadhyay and Ramya Subramanian)-- 4. School Dropouts or 'Pushouts'? Overcoming Barriers for the Right to Education (Shanta Sinha and A.N. Reddy)-- 5. Access to What? Diversity and Participation (Nalini Juneja)-- 6. Local Governance and Community Participation in Elementary Education (R. Govinda and Madhumita Bandyopadhyay)-- 7. Teachers and Teacher Education: Impact on Elementary Education (Mona Sedwal)-- 8. Distress Seasonal Migration and its Impact on Children's Education (Smita)-- 9. Malnourishment among Children in India: Linkages with Cognitive Development and School Participation (Neelam Sood)-- 10. Issues and Priorities for Research and Action (R. Govinda)-- Notes on Contributors-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198070764 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- As a result of the boom in private-sector education and the attempts to universalize elementary education, there has been an unprecedented increase in school enrolment in India. Still, large numbers of children, especially from disadvantaged communities, are deprived of quality education, which has thwarted the equitable access to basic education. This book explores such exclusion and the policies and actions required to develop an inclusive education system. It focuses on aspects ranging from malnutrition, gender and social equity, migration, drop out, and differentiation in schooling provisions to matters of teaching and governance. Combining statistical analysis and reviews, it explains patterns of access and exclusion. Outlining policy and legislation on access to education, the book analyses the way in which educational access is conceptualized and identifies areas for future research.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780198070764 20160607
- Publication date
- "Consortium for Research on Educational Access, Transitions & Equity ; National University of Educational Planning and Administration."
Browse related items
Start at call number: