Gendered transformations : theory and practices on gender and media
- edited by Tonny Krijnen, Claudia Alvares and Sofie Van Bauwel.
- Bristol, U.K. ; Chicago : Intellect, 2011.
- Physical description
- 239 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- European Communication Research and Education Association series.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Silent witness: news sources, the local press and the disappeared woman / Karen Ross
- Tracing gendered (in)visibilities in the Portuguese quality press / Claudia Alvares
- Women's time has come: an archaeology of French female presidential candidates: from Arlette Laguiller (1974) to Ségolène Royal (2007) / Marlène Coulomb-Gully
- Gender analysis of mediated politics in Germany / Margreth Luenenborg ... [et al.]
- Hollywood, resistance and transgressive queerness: re-reading Suddenly, last summer (1959), The children's hour (1961) and Advise & consent (1962) / Frederik Dhaenens, Daniel Biltereyst, Sofie Van Bauwel
- Political blogging: at a crossroads of gender and culture online? / Olena Goroshko, Olena Zhigalina
- XXY: Representing intersex / Begonya Enguix Grau
- Disciplining fantasy bodies in Second Life / Georgia Gaden and Delia Dumitrica
- Reality TV's contribution to the gender differentiation of moral-emotional repertories / Tonny Krijnen
- 'Casualizing' sexuality in teen series. A study of the gendered sexual discourses in the popular American teen series One Tree Hill and Gossip girl / Elke Van Damme
- Media constructions of gender in ICT work / Martha Blomqvist and Kristina Eriksson
- Looking for gender equality in journalism / Sinikka Torkkola and Iiris Ruoho.
- Publisher's Summary
- Comprising the most current scholarship from leading experts in the fields of gender and media studies, "Gendered Transformations" offers readers a new foundation from which to re-examine traditional perspectives on gender. Organized into sections concerning representational politics, embodied performance, and social constructions of reality, these essays explore a wide variety of concerns from a similarly wide variety of perspectives, from essentialist to anti-essentialist. A thought-provoking contribution to a number of disparate fields, "Gendered Transformations" offers a rare interdisciplinary approach to gender that reflects the most recent developments in media theory and methodology.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781841503660 20190129
- Publication date
- European Communication Research and Education Association series
- 9781841503660 (softcover)
- 1841503665 (softcover)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: