Beethoven in America
- Michael Broyles.
- Bloomington, IN : Indiana University Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- x, 418 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
|ML410 .B4 B869 2011||Unknown|
- Broyles, Michael, 1939-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -397) and index.
- Introduction I. Arrival and Sacralization 1. Arrival in America-- 2. Defining Beethoven-- 3. Deification and Spiritualization II. Science, Scholars and Critics 4. Science and Modernism-- 5. "The Warm Tropical Summer of Sketch Research": Beethoven and the Cold War-- 6. Reactions to Modernism: Musical Meaning and the Classical Canon III. Beethoven and the Dramatic Arts 7. Beethoven on the Silver Screen-- 8. Beethoven's Music in Film-- 9. Beethoven in the Theater IV. Beyond Classicism, Beethoven in American Society and Culture 10. Beethoven was Black: Why Does it Matter-- 11. Beethoven in Popular Music-- 12. Beethoven Everywhere Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780253357045 20160606
- Publisher's Summary
- Beethoven permeates American culture. His image appears on countless busts and coffee mugs; his music is heard in movie scores, TV soundtracks, commercials, and pop songs; he is Schroeder's god in Peanuts and Chuck Berry's freaked-out parent in "Roll over Beethoven." In this book, Michael Broyles seeks to understand the composer as he exists in the American imagination and explores how Beethoven became a cultural icon. Broyles examines Beethoven's appearance in a variety of contexts: American commercialism, the Afrocentrist and black power movements, and the modernist critique of Romanticism. He considers portrayals of Beethoven in American film and theatre and the uses of his music in film scores, as well as references to Beethoven and his music in disco, country, rock, and rap. In the end, he shows that to examine Beethoven on American soil is to examine America itself.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780253357045 20160606
- Publication date
- 9780253357045 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0253357047 (cloth : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: