Sixteenth-century Judeo-Spanish testimonies : an edition of eighty-four testimonies from the Sephardic responsa in the Ottoman Empire
- by Annette Benaim.
- English, Ladino, Hebrew. In English, with some Ladino (Judeo-Spanish) and Hebrew text.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2012.
- Physical description
- xxvi, 539 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Etudes sur le judaïsme médiéval t. 52.
- Benaim, Annette.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- CHAPTER 1: INTRODUCTION 1.1 Aims and Contribution of book 1.2 Presentation of Book 1.3 Responsa and the Development of Jewish Law 1.4 Structure and Features of Responsa 1.5 Use of Judeo-Spanish in the Texts 1.6 Ottoman Jewish Life depicted in the Responsa CHAPTER 2: RESEARCH METHODS AND SOURCES 2.1 List of Responsa containing Judeo-Spanish 2.2 Principles of Selection - Corpus Examined 2.3 Methodology and Transcription of the Texts 2.4 The Problems of Textual Transmission CHAPTER 3: THE LANGUAGE IN THE RESPONSA 3.1 Introduction 3.2 Vernacular Jewish Languages 3.3 Distinctive Linguistic Features of Judeo-Spanish CHAPTER 4: TEXTS.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9789004210172 20160606
- Publisher's Summary
- This book consists of a previously unidentified corpus of literature that contains an edition of eighty-four testimonies of the sixteenth-century responsa. An overview of the responsa literature in the relevant context and aspects of Ottoman Jewish life are discussed. The author describes the merit of the Judeo-Spanish testimonies in terms of the insight they offer into the society, economy, religion and responsa literature of sixteenth-century Ottoman Jewry. The study of these texts from a linguistic perspective constitutes the main aim of the book yet the result is a valuable and intriguing source of texts that should generate further study in fields of linguistics, Sephardic Studies, Hispanic Studies, and Jewish Studies whether cultural, historical or legal. ..".this book is an important resource for linguists, social scientists, scholars of Jewish culture and law, women studies and obviously for Sephardic studies, with special reference to the Ottoman period." Rachel Simon, "Princeton University".
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789004210172 20160606
- Publication date
- Études sur le judaïsme médiéval ; t. 52
- 9789004210172 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9004210172 (hardback : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: