Ethnicity, race and education : an introduction
- Walters, Sue, 1958-
- London ; New York : Continuum, c2012.
- Physical description
- viii, 175 p. ; 26 cm.
LC1099.3 .W35 2012
- Unknown LC1099.3 .W35 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -166) and index.
- Introduction 'Why do Ethnicity and 'Race' Matter?-- 1. What Do We Mean By 'Race' and Ethnicity?-- 2. 'Race', Ethnicity and School Achievement-- 3. 'Race', Ethnicity and School Experience-- 4. 'Race', Ethnicity and Research-- 5. Taking Action Around 'Race' and Ethnicity-- Conclusions-- References-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- What is ethnicity? How does ethnicity impact on the school experience and academic achievement of individuals? Can education challenge ethnic differences and inequalities? Sue Walters introduces the key issues underlying contemporary work, thinking and practice around ethnicity, inclusion, 'race' and education in relation to curriculum, teaching and school policy drawing on current research, debate, policy and practice across mainstream and non-mainstream educational settings. In this engaging and thought-provoking guide, Sue Walters introduces readers to initiatives that attempt to challenge racism and raise achievement, and offers practical suggestions for best practice in educational settings. Reflective activities encourage readers to engage with the issues discussed, annotated further reading suggestions provide pointers for those looking to explore the debates further and chapter summaries provide succinct overviews of the issues discussed. This is an invaluable text for those studying in the fields of education, sociology, social policy and social linguistics who are looking for an accessible, introductory guide to the key concepts, issues and debates in the field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Multicultural education > United States.
- Education > Social aspects > United States.
- Minorities > Education > United States.
- Academic achievement > United States.
- Discrimination in education > United States.
- Educational equalization > United States.
- Education and state > United States.
- Curriculum change > United States.
- Publication date
- Sue Walters.
- 9781847062321 (pbk.)
- 1847062326 (pbk.)
- 9781441176738 (hbk.)
- 144117673X (hbk.)