Randomness through computation : some answers, more questions
- editor, Hector Zenil.
- New Jersey : World Scientific, c2011.
- Physical description
- xviii, 419 p. : ill., ports. ; 24 cm.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA274 .R358 2011||Unknown|
- Zenil, Hector.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Is randomness necessary? / R. Graham
- Probability is a lot of logic at once : if you don't know which one to pick, take 'em all / T. Toffoli
- Statistical testing of randomness : new and old procedures / A.L. Rukhin
- Scatter and regularity imply Benford's law... and more / N. Gauvrit, J.-P. Delahaye
- Some bridging results and challenges in classical, quantum and computational randomness / G. Longo, C. Palamidessi, T. Paul
- Metaphysics, metamathematics and metabiology / G. Chaitin
- Uncertainty in physics and computation / M.A. Stay
- Indeterminism and randomness through physics / K. Svozil
- The Martin-Löf-Chaitin thesis : the identification by recursion theory of the mathematical notion of random sequence / J.-P. Delahaye
- The road to intrinsic randomness / S. Wolfram
- Algorithmic probability : its discovery, it's properties and application to strong AI / R.J. Solomonoff
- Algorithmic randomness as foundation of inductive reasoning and artificial intelligence / M. Hutter
- Randomness, Occam's razor, AI, creativity and digital physics / J. Schmidhuber
- Randomness everywhere : my path to algorithmic information theory / C.S. Calude
- The impact of algorithmic information theory on our current views on complexity, randomness, information and prediction / P. Gács
- Randomness, computability and information / J.S. Miller
- Studying randomness through computation / A. Nies
- Computability, algorithmic randomness and complexity / R.G. Downey
- Is randomness native to computer science? Ten years after / M. Ferbus-Zanda, S. Grigorieff
- Randomness as circuit complexity (and the connection to pseudorandomness) / E. Allender
- Randomness : a tool for constructing and analyzing computer programs / A. Kuc̆era
- Connecting randomness to computation / M. Li
- From error-correcting codes to algorithmic informational theory / L. Staiger
- Randomness in algorithms / O. Watanabe
- Is the universe random? / C.S. Calude, J.L. Casti, G.J. Chaitin, P.C.W. Davies, K. Svozil, S. Wolfram
- What is computation? (How) Does nature computer? / C.S. Calude, G.J. Chaitin, E. Fredkin, A.J. Leggett, R. de Ruyter, T. Toffoli, S. Wolfram.
- Publisher's Summary
- This review volume consists of an indispensable set of chapters written by leading scholars, scientists and researchers in the field of Randomness, including related subfields specially but not limited to the strong developed connections to the Computability and Recursion Theory. Highly respected, indeed renowned in their areas of specialization, many of these contributors are the founders of their fields. The scope of "Randomness Through Computation" is novel. Each contributor shares his personal views and anecdotes on the various reasons and motivations which led him to the study of the subject. They share their visions from their vantage and distinctive viewpoints. In summary, this is an opportunity to learn about the topic and its various angles from the leading thinkers.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789814327749 20160606
- Publication date
- 9789814327749 (hbk.)
- 9814327743 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: