Write like this : teaching real-world writing through modeling & mentor texts
- Kelly Gallagher.
- Portland, Me. : Stenhouse Publishers, c2011.
- Physical description
- viii, 264 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1631 .G163 2011||Unknown|
- Gallagher, Kelly, 1958-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 251-256) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- If you want to learn how to shoot a basketball, you begin by carefully observing someone who knows how to shoot a basketball. If you want to be a writer, you begin by carefully observing the work of accomplished writers. Recognising the importance that modeling plays in the learning process, high school English teacher Kelly Gallagher shares how he gets his students to stand next to and pay close attention to model writers, and how doing so elevates his students' writing abilities. Write Like This is built around a central premise: if students are to grow as writers, they need to read good writing, they need to study good writing, and, most important, they need to emulate good writers. In Write Like Thi s, Kelly emphasises real-world writing purposes, the kind of writing he wants his students to be doing twenty years from now. Each chapter focuses on a specific discourse: express and reflect, inform and explain, evaluate and judge, inquire and explore, analyse and interpret, and take a stand/propose a solution. In teaching these lessons, Kelly provides mentor texts (professional samples as well as models he has written in front of his students), student writing samples, and numerous assignments and strategies proven to elevate student writing. By helping teachers bring effective modeling practices into their classrooms, Write Like This enables students to become better adolescent writers. More important, the practices found in this book will help our students develop the writing skills they will need to become adult writers in the real world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781571108968 20160607
- Publication date
- 9781571108968 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1571108963 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781571109330 (e-book)
- 1571109331 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: