Mathematical methods for analysis of a complex disease
- Frank C. Hoppensteadt.
- New York : Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences ; Providence, R.I. : American Mathematical Society, c2011.
- Physical description
- xi, 149 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Courant lecture notes in mathematics ; 22.
Math & Statistics Library
QH323.5 .H669 2011
- Unknown QH323.5 .H669 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Complex diseases involve most aspects of population biology, including genetics, demographics, epidemiology, and ecology. Mathematical methods, including differential, difference, and integral equations, numerical analysis, and random processes, have been used effectively in all of these areas. The aim of this book is to provide sufficient background in such mathematical and computational methods to enable the reader to better understand complex systems in biology, medicine, and the life sciences. It introduces concepts in mathematics to study population phenomena with the goal of describing complicated aspects of a disease, such as malaria, involving several species. The book is based on a graduate course in computational biology and applied mathematics taught at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences in fall 2010. The mathematical level is kept to essentially advanced undergraduate mathematics, and the results in the book are intended to provide readers with tools for performing more in-depth analysis of population phenomena.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Epidemiology > Mathematical models.
- Partial differential equations -- Equations of mathematical physics and other areas of application -- PDEs in connection with biology and other natural sciences.
- Dynamical systems and ergodic theory -- Applications -- Dynamical systems in biology.
- Functional analysis -- Miscellaneous applications of functional analysis -- Applications in biology and other sciences.
- Statistics -- Applications -- Applications to biology and medical sciences.
- Biology and other natural sciences -- Mathematical biology in general -- General biology and biomathematics.
- Biology and other natural sciences -- Physiological, cellular and medical topics -- Systems biology, networks.
- Mathematics education -- Mathematical modeling, applications of mathematics -- Biology, chemistry, medicine.
- Biology and other natural sciences -- Physiological, cellular and medical topics -- Medical epidemiology.
- Biology and other natural sciences -- Genetics and population dynamics -- Epidemiology.
- General -- General and miscellaneous specific topics -- General methods of simulation.
- Ordinary differential equations -- Functional-differential and differential-difference equations -- Qualitative investigation and simulation of models.
- Numerical analysis -- Probabilistic methods, simulation and stochastic differential equations -- Probabilistic methods, simulation and stochastic differential equations.
- Ordinary differential equations -- General theory -- Nonlinear equations and systems, general.
- Ordinary differential equations -- Qualitative theory -- Complex behavior, chaotic systems.
- Partial differential equations -- Equations of mathematical physics and other areas of application -- PDEs in connection with mechanics of particles and systems.
- Integral equations -- Nonlinear integral equations -- Systems of nonlinear integral equations.
- Operator theory -- Miscellaneous applications of operator theory -- Applications in systems theory, circuits, and control theory.
- Publication date
- Courant lecture notes in mathematics ; 22
- 9780821872864 (alk. paper)
- 0821872869 (alk. paper)