Here's how children learn speech and language : a text on different learning strategies
- Margo Kinzer Courter.
- San Diego : Plural Pub., c2011.
- Physical description
- xvi, 196 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Here's how series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC4015 .C653 2011||Unknown|
- Courter, Margo Kinzer.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword xiii Preface xv Chapter 1 Just the Facts 1 Introduction 1 Here Are Important Definitions 1 Here Are Some Facts 3 Fact #1: Percent of Students With Learning and Language Disabilities 3 Fact #2: (Central) Auditory Processing Disorder (APD), Language Impairment, and Reading Disorder 3 Fact #3: Childhood Apraxia of Speech, Language, and Learning Disorders 3 Fact #4: Word-Finding, Language Impairment, and Learning Disabilities 3 Fact #5: Percent of Students With Learning Disabilities 3 Fact #9: Language-Based Learning Disability Is a Better Descriptor Than Dyslexia 4 Here Are Some Signs for Students Who May Be at Risk of a Learning Disability 4 Here Are the Laws That Guarantee an Equal Education for All 5 Introduction to Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA 2004) 5 Here's Information Regarding Reauthorization of IDEA 2008 5 Here's Information Regarding the NCLB Act of 2001 8 Introduction to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (1998) 9 Here Are the Agencies That Enforce the Laws 13 Office for Civil Rights (OCR) 13 The Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) 13 State Educational Agencies 14 Conclusion 14 References 14 Chapter 2 Diagnostics 17 Introduction 17 Preschool/Kindergarten Children 18 Morphology Introduction 19 Phonology Introduction 19 Auditory Short-Term Memory Skills Introduction 19 Word Finding Introduction 19 Possible Assessment Tools 20 School-Age Assessment Essentials Introduction 21 Rating Scales 21 Receptive and Expressive Vocabulary Measures 22 Word-Finding Measures 23 Receptive and Expressive Language Testing 23 Central Auditory Processing Disorder (C)APD 25 Written Language Expression 27 Phonological Awareness Assessment 28 Problem Solving 28 Determining the Significance of the Testing Results 29 Possible Profiles 29 What Happens After the Evaluation 30 Conclusion 38 References 38 Chapter 3 Getting Started: Preliteracy Skills 41 Introduction 41 Auditory Short-Term Memory Introduction 44 Area: Auditory Short-Term Memory 44 Auditory Short-Term Memory Strategies 45 Sequencing Events Introduction 51 Area: Sequencing of Events 52 Sequencing Strategies 52 Phonological Awareness Introduction 55 Area: Phonological Awareness 55 Strategies for Phonological Awareness 56 Narrative Skills Introduction 63 Area: Narrative Skills 64 Developing Narrative Skills Strategies 64 Preschool Language Skills and Possible Academic Effects 65 Conclusion 66 References 67 Chapter 4 Reading Is Rocket Science 69 Introduction 69 Early Reading Introduction 70 Area: Early Reading 70 Early Reading Strategies 70 Building Reading Success Introduction 79 Area: Building Reading Success 79 Building Reading Success Strategies 79 Conclusion 86 References 87 Chapter 5 Across the Curriculum 89 Introduction 89 Symbols and Abbreviations in Note Taking Introduction 90 Vocabulary Introduction 91 Vocabulary Goals 91 Vocabulary Strategies 91 Information Presented Orally Introduction 95 Spoken Directions and Lecture Information Goals 95 Spoken Directions and Lecture Information Strategies 96 Following Written Directions Introduction 97 Following Written Directions Goals 97 Following Written Directions Strategies 97 Reading Comprehension Introduction 100 Reading Comprehension for Paragraph-Length Information Goals 101 Paragraph-Length Material Strategies 101 Reading Comprehension for Subject-Based Information Goals 103 Subject-Based Information Strategies 103 Reading Comprehension for Literature Goals 108 Reading Comprehension for Literature Strategies 108 Reading Comprehension and Critical Thinking Goals 112 Reading Comprehension and Critical Thinking Strategies 112 Reading Comprehension for Test-Taking Strategies 114 Reading Comprehension for Test-Taking Strategies 114 Conclusion 118 References 118 Chapter 6 Expressing Oneself Through Writing 119 Introduction 119 Assessment Tools Review 121 Strategies to Improve Writing Skills Introduction 122 Here's How to Use Strategies to Assist With Written Language 122 Here's How to Use Webs, Venn Diagrams, and Other Graphic Organizers 123 Here Are Programs for Writing 123 Basic Concepts for Written Language Introduction 124 Here Are the Basic Mechanics for Written Language 124 Grammar Introduction 126 Here's How to Assist With Understanding Grammar 126 Here's Additional Grammar Information for Older Students 128 Remediation, Modifications, Accommodations, and Bypass Strategies Introduction 130 Here Are Some Accommodations for Written Language 130 Here's How to Use the Computer and Writing Software/Tools 130 Editing Checklist 132 Here's How to Use an Edit Checklist for Writing 132 Conclusion 133 References 133 Chapter 7 Publishers Provide What? 135 Introduction 135 Here Are the Resources That Publishers Offer for Teachers 135 Resources for Students 137 Here Are Some Advantages for Students With Language-Based Learning Disabilities 138 Reference 139 Chapter 8 Classroom Strategies 141 Introduction 141 Introduction to a Consistent Environment 142 Prekindergarten/Kindergarten 142 Schedule Boards 142 Visual Reminders for Behavior 143 Phonological Awareness, Phoneme Awareness, and the Alphabet Principle 144 First and Second Grades 145 Third Grade Forward 146 Webs 146 T Charts 147 Venn Diagrams 147 Cornell Notes 147 Written Directions and Paragraph-Length Materials 147 Written Language Expression 148 Math 149 Accommodations for Students Introduction 151 Here's How Accommodations Can Assist a Student 151 Consistency Across Grades and Educators Checklist 156 Conclusion 158 References 158 Chapter 9 Strategies for Home 159 Introduction 159 Home Strategies for Preliteracy Skills Introduction 160 Here's How Parents Can Assist Their Child With Preliteracy Skills 160 Home Strategies for Literacy Skills Introduction 161 Here's How Parents Can Work With Their Student on Developing Literacy Skills 162 Home Strategies to Increase Auditory Short-Term Memory and Comprehension Introduction 163 Home Strategies for Reading Comprehension Introduction 164 Here's How to Work on Reading Comprehension at Home 164 Home Strategies for Critical Thinking Introduction 166 Here's How to Work on Critical Thinking at Home 166 Written Expression Introduction 167 Here's How Parents Can Assist Their Student With Written Expression 167 Home Strategies for the Concepts and Language of Math Introduction 168 Here's How to Work on Math at Home 168 Conclusion 170 References 170 Chapter 10 The Greatest Resources 171 Introduction 171 Childhood Apraxia of Speech (CAS) 171 Here's How to Treat Childhood Apraxia of Speech 172 American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) 172 Kaufman Children's Center 172 The Late Talker: What to Do If Your Child Isn't Talking Yet 172 Apraxia-KIDS 172 Word Finding 172 American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) 173 Word-Finding Difficulties 173 Word Finding Intervention Program 2 (WFIP 2) 173 The Brain and Language 173 Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents: A Practical Guide to Assessment and Intervention (Practical Intervention in the Schools) 174 BrainGym.com 174 Brain-Based Learning: The New Science of Teaching and Training 174 How the Brain Learns to Read 174 How the Brain Learns 174 How the Special Needs Brain Learns 174 The Leadership Brain: How to Lead Today's Schools More Effectively 175 Developmental Language Disorders 175 Literacy 175 American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) 175 Carl's Corner 175 abcteach.com 175 Sing Me a Story 176 National Institute for Literacy (NIFL) 176 Road to Reading: A Program for Preventing and Remediating Reading Difficulties 176 ClickN READ Phonics(R) 176 Earobics 176 HearBuilder's Phonological Awareness 177 Discover Lexercise 177 Hubbard's Cupboard 177 Reading Rockets 177 Kidzone 177 Phonics 177 Reading A-Z 177 ReadWriteThink 178 PreLiteracy.com 178 Written Language Expression 178 Step Up to Writing 178 The Writing Lab Approach to Language Instruction 178 The Story Grammar Marker 178 Draft Builder 178 Writing Tools 179 Inspiration Software, Inc. 179 Math 179 TouchMath 179 Math Helpers 179 Classroom Organizers/Schedules 179 Make a Schedule 180 Board Maker 180 Images/Sounds and Pictures 180 Graphic Organizers 180 Cause and Effect Graphic Organizers 180 Freeology.com 180 Inspiration Software, Inc. 181 Using Visual Maps 181 Study Skills and Test-Taking Strategies 182 Study Skills 182 Test-Taking Strategies 182 E-Z Test Readiness (Study Skills) 182 Classroom Amplification 182 The Laws 183 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) 183 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) 183 U.S. Department of Education Home Page 183 General Information 183 LD OnLine 183 National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) 184 Conclusion 184 References 184 Glossary 187 Index 191.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781597563666 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- Here's How Children Learn Speech and Language: A Text on Different Learning Strategies is an effective resource for speech-language pathologists working with children at the level of prekindergarten through high school. The author provides diagnostic tools to help clinicians assess underlying speech and/or language disorders that are impeding students' academic success. Once the underlying diagnoses are obtained, the author assists the clinician with identifying goals and developing strategies to meet those goals and improve academic performance. The strategies allow the SLP to incorporate the content of the child's school lessons, and they can be used across all curriculum areas. By basing the strategies on the student's individual speech and language abilities, the clinician will be best able to assist the student with following written and oral directions, reading fluency and comprehension, critical thinking, and retrieval. Here's How Children Learn Speech and Language: A Text on Different Learning Strategies is an essential resource for school-based SLPs and educators who work with children with speech and language disorders in the educational setting.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781597563666 20160607
- Publication date
- Here's how series
- 9781597563666 (pbk.)
- 1597563668 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: