Seven keys to unlock autism : making miracles in the classroom
- Elaine Hall and Diane Isaacs ; foreword by Stephen M. Shore.
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxxv, 182 p. : ill. ; 24 cm. + 1 DVD (4 3/4 in.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC4718 .H35 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments ix About the Authors xi About The Miracle Project xiii Foreword by Stephen M. Shore xv Introduction: It Starts with You xvii The Seven Keys xviii How to Use This Book xix The Keys xx Elaine's Story xxiii Part One: Autism 101 1 Primer: Autism Through a Different Lens 3 A Brief History 7 Inspirational Stories 11 Autism's Alphabet Soup 13 Part Two: The Seven Keys 19 Key One Set an Intention 21 Key Two Develop Acceptance and Appreciation 37 Diane's Story of Acceptance 51 Key Three Understand Sensory Profile 59 Key Four Follow the Leader 73 Key Five Include the Child 87 Key Six Practice and Preparation Make Progress 105 Key Seven Live Miracle Minded 121 Conclusion: Opening Doors 131 Part Three: Appendixes 135 Appendix A: The Resource Room: Tools for Using the Seven Keys 137 Primer: Leading Schools of Thought 138 Autism Organizations 139 Films 141 IDEA and IEP 142 Key One Resources 142 Key Two Resources 143 Key Three Resources 144 Key Four Resources 144 Key Five Resources 145 Key Six Resources 145 Key Seven Resources 146 Appendix B: Additional Corners of the Resource Room 149 Environmental Factors 149 Classroom Set-Up 151 Proactive Tools 153 Accommodations 157 Creating Consistency Across All Environments 160 Creating a User-Friendly System 161 Seven Keys to a Smooth IEP 164 The Greatest Untapped Resource: The Parent 167 Index 175.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The acclaimed approach to helping children with autism, profiled in the award-winning documentary Autism: The Musical This groundbreaking book outlines seven integrated keys for educators and parents to make meaningful connections with children on the autism spectrum. The book is based on the unique approach used by Elaine Hall and Diane Isaacs of The Miracle Project, a musical theater program for children with autism and their peers and siblings. The Miracle Project integrates traditional and creative therapies in an interactive, social dynamic. The book shows how to apply these effective strategies at school and at home to nurture kids' self-expression and social skills. Elaine Hall and The Miracle Project were profiled in the two-time Emmy Award-winning HBO documentary, Autism: The Musical Seven Keys reveals the seven-step program that has proven so successful for children in the Miracle Project After reading Seven Keys teachers and parents will better understand this puzzling disorder and be able to help children with autism draw connections and form more meaningful relationships Seven Keys to Unlock Autism offers readers strategies for creating a personal skill set to make their encounters with autistic children as successful and rewarding as possible.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780470644096 (cloth)
- 0470644095 (cloth)
Browse related items
Start at call number: