Applying theory to educational research : an introductory approach with case studies
- edited by Jeff Adams, Matt Cochrane and Linda Dunne.
- Chichester, West Sussex, UK ; Malden, MA : Wiley-Blackwell, 2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 225 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1028 .A56 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- About the Contributors vii Preface xiii Acknowledgements xv Introduction 1 Jeff Adams, Matt Cochrane and Linda Dunne Part I New Voices: Beginning Researchers Apply Theory 11 1 Learning and Maintaining Professional Expertise Within a Multi-Professional Critical Care Team 15 Jill Cochrane 2 The 'Q' Standards and Initial Teacher Training: The Discursive Formation of Teachers and their Trainers 31 Paul Bartle 3 Power and Status Theories in Teachers' Professional Development 47 Karen Castle 4 The Process of Technology Learning: Applying Bruner's Theory on Play, Discovery and Cultural Learning to the Acquisition of ICT Capability 61 Paula Beer Part II Emergent Voices: Accounts by Researchers Becoming Familiar with the Use of Theory 75 5 Teachers' Professional Identity: Theoretical Perspectives on Workplace Learning in the Teaching Context 81 Rob Foster 6 Children's University Aspirations and the Effects of Cultural and Social Capital 95 Matt Cochrane 7 Finding Theory Through Collaborative Research 109 Clare Woolhouse 8 How Applying a Discourse-Based Approach to Investigate Inclusion Changed a Research Project and a Way of Thinking 123 Linda Dunne Part III Voices of Experience: Accounts by Researchers Versed in the Use of Theory 139 9 Should I be Singing This, and if So, How High?: Theoretical Approaches to Boyhood and Masculinity 145 Martin Ashley 10 Theorizing from Bricolage: Researching Collaboration in Art and Design Education 157 Madeleine Sclater 11 Constructivism and the Pedagogy of Teacher Education: Reflections on Practice 175 Graham Rogers 12 Developing Professional Practice through Action Research: Theory-Generative Approaches in Practitioner Research 189 Mary McAteer 13 Art Practice as Education Research 203 Jeff Adams Postscript 219 Jeff Adams, Matt Cochrane and Linda Dunne Index 221.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470972366 20160606
- Publisher's Summary
- Applying Theory to Educational Research provides educational researchers with an accessible introduction to the process of selecting and applying theories in their work.* Offers an innovative and accessible approach to educational research by providing practical examples of the application of theory* Gives 'hands-on' accounts for the researcher and practitioner* Explains and discusses complex ideas in the light of experience in using and applying them* Covers the application of major theorists such as Bourdieu, Foucault, Weber, Derrida, and Vygotsky.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470972366 20160606
- Publication date
- 9780470972359 (pbk.)
- 0470972351 (pbk.)
- 9780470972366 (hbk.)
- 047097236X (hbk.)
- 9781119950851 (ePDFs)
- 9781119950844 (Wiley online library)
- 9781119979999 (ePub)
- 9781119999034 (eMobi)
Browse related items
Start at call number: