Scattered data approximation
- Holger Wendland.
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- Physical description
- x, 336 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Cambridge monographs on applied and computational mathematics ; 17.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA221 .W46 2005||Unknown|
- Wendland, Holger, 1968-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 323-333) and index.
- Hear spaces and multivariate polynomials
- Local polynomial reproduction
- Moving least squares
- Auxiliary tools from analysis and measure theory
- Positive definite functions
- Completely monotine functions
- Conditionally positive definite functions
- Compactly supported functions
- Native spaces
- Error estimates and radial basis function interpolation
- Optimal recovery
- Data structures
- Numerical methods
- Generalized interpolation
- Interpolation on spheres and other manifolds.
- Publisher's Summary
- Many practical applications require the reconstruction of a multivariate function from discrete, unstructured data. This book gives a self-contained, complete introduction into this subject. It concentrates on truly meshless methods such as radial basis functions, moving least squares, and partitions of unity. The book starts with an overview on typical applications of scattered data approximation, coming from surface reconstruction, fluid-structure interaction, and the numerical solution of partial differential equations. It then leads the reader from basic properties to the current state of research, addressing all important issues, such as existence, uniqueness, approximation properties, numerical stability, and efficient implementation. Each chapter ends with a section giving information on the historical background and hints for further reading. Complete proofs are included, making this perfectly suited for graduate courses on multivariate approximation and it can be used to support courses in computer-aided geometric design, and meshless methods for partial differential equations.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521843355 20160606
- Supplemental links
Table of contents
Contributor biographical information
- Publication date
- Cambridge monographs on applied and computational mathematics ; 17
Browse related items
Start at call number: