Dominion and agency : copyright and the structuring of the Canadian book trade, 1867-1918
- Eli MacLaren.
- Toronto ; Buffalo, [NY] : University of Toronto Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- x, 221 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Studies in book and print culture.
- MacLaren, E. (Eli)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -201) and index.
- Acknowledgements Introduction
- * Conceiving the 1875 Act, 1868-72: The Principles of Copyright * Achieving the 1875 Act, 1872-75: The London Publishers Prevail * Clarifying the 1875 Act, 1876-77: The Stunting of Belford Brothers * Living With the 1875 Act: William Briggs: Printer, Binder, Distributor * The 1900 Amendment, the Agency System, and the Macmillan Company of Canada * The North American Copyright Divide: Black Rock and the Magnification of Ralph Connor Conclusion Notes
- Works Cited
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The 1867 Canadian confederation brought with it expectations of a national literature, which a rising class of local printers hoped to supply. Reforming copyright law in the imperial context proved impossible, and Canada became a prime market for foreign publishers instead. The subsequent development of the agency system of exclusive publisher-importers became a defining feature of Canadian trade publishing for most of the twentieth century. In Dominion and Agency, Eli MacLaren analyses the struggle for copyright reform and the creation of a national literature using previously ignored archival sources such as the Board of Trade Papers at the National Archives of the United Kingdom. A groundbreaking study, Dominion and Agency is an important exploration of the legal and economic structures that were instrumental in the formation of today's Canadian literary culture.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Copyright > Canada > History.
- Book industries and trade > Canada > History.
- Publishers and publishing > Canada > History.
- Canadian literature > History and criticism.
- Droit d'auteur > Canada > Histoire.
- Livres > Industrie > Canada > Histoire.
- Édition > Canada > Histoire.
- Littérature canadienne > Histoire et critique.
- Publication date
- Studies in book and print culture
- 9781442643215 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1442643218 (cloth : alk. paper)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: