Picturebooks, pedagogy, and philosophy
- Joanna Haynes and Karin Murris.
- New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 269 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Routledge research in education 60.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB14.7 .H39 2012
- Unknown LB14.7 .H39 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -259) and index.
- Introduction: Censorship and Controversy in the Classroom Part One: Provocative Picturebooks 1. Playing with Dangerous Picturebooks 2. Not So Innocent Picturebooks 3. From Philosophical Novels to Picturebooks 4. Picturebooks as Philosophical Texts 5. Emotions and Picturebooks 6. Literary and Philosophical Responses to Picturebooks Part Two: Being Child 7. Slippage Between Realms 8. Talking Dogs and Moving Bears: The Realm of Meaning 9. Philosophy, Adult and Child 10. Authenticity of Knowledge and Understanding Part Three: Philosophical Listening 11. Listening and Juggling in Philosophical Space 12. Listening and Not Listening in Schools 13. Towards a Critical Practice of Philosophical Listening. Appendix A: List of Picturebooks Discussed in the Book.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Contemporary picturebooks open up spaces for philosophical dialogues between people of all ages. As works of art, picturebooks offer unique opportunities to explore ideas and to create meaning collaboratively. This book considers censorship of certain well-known picturebooks, challenging the assumptions on which this censorship is based. Through a lively exploration of children's responses to these same picturebooks the authors paint a way of working philosophically based on respectful listening and creative and authentic interactions, rather than scripted lessons. This dialogical process challenges much current practice in education. The authors propose that a courageous and critical practice of listening is central to the facilitation of mutually educative dialogue. This book will be of interest to scholars and students of education studies, philosophy of education, literacy teaching and learning, children's literature, childhood and pedagogy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Routledge research in education ; 60
- 9780415880800 (alk. paper)
- 0415880807 (alk. paper)
- 9780203807019 (ebk.)
- 0203807014 (ebk.)