Urban education : a model for leadership and policy
- edited by Karen Symms Gallagher ... [et al.].
- New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- xviii, 369 p. : ill. ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC5131 .U665 2012||Unknown|
- Gallagher, Karen S.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Handbook Preface: Introduction and Overview, Karen Symms Gallagher, Dominic Brewer, and Rod Goodyear 1. A history of urban education, John Rury 2. A Consensus Definition of Urban Education, Rod Goodyear, Charles Claiborn, James Lichtenberg, Terence Tracey, Bruce Wampold 3. Sociology of Urban Education, Alan Sadovnik 4. Anthropology of Urban Education, Mica Pollock 5. Politics of Urban Education, Kenneth Wong 6. Economics of Urban Education, Dom Brewer Leadership in Education Settings 7. Complexity of Leadership, James Spillane 8. Instructional Leadership, Carl Cohn 9. Shared leadership or community collaborations, Adrianna Kezar 10. Creating shared leadership and cognitive complexity through action research, Estela Bensimon and Don Polkinghorne 11. New Times, New Challenges, and What Transformative Educational Leaders Do, Gilberto Arriaza and Rosemary Henze Accountability in Urban Education Settings 12. Competing Accountability Demands in Urban Education, David Connley 13. Accountability in Career and Technical Education in Urban Settings? Gary Hoachlander 14. Accountability in universities serving urban communities? David Werner 15. Accountability and for-profit Education, Guilbert Hentschke 16. Using Data to Identify System-Wide Issues and Concerns, Ron Astor 17. Using Data to Close Achievement Gaps in Urban Education, Amanda Datnow 18. Benchmarking as a Tool for Equity in Urban Education, Alicia Dowd 19. Financing Urban Education, Lawrence O. Picus 20. Ethics in Urban Educational Accountability, Kenneth A. Strike Learning and Motivation in Urban Educatin Settings 21. Motivation and African American Students, Cynthia Hudley 22. Risk factors and Resilience, Margaret Beale Spencer and Dena Phillips Swanson 23. Teacher learning for instruction of second Language learners, Aida Walqui 24. Vertical and horizontal learning: Lessons from and after-school programs, Richard Duran, Kris Gutierrez, Robert Rueda 25. PISA (Programme for International Student Assessment), Petra Stanat 26. Cultural Studies of Immigrant Students, Mariette de Haan 27. Cultural Learning or Interculturality and Learning, Yrjo Engestrom and Marianne Teras 28. Cultural Learning on Cross-Cultural Context, Ecjard Klieme 29. Future Directions for Urban Education Research and Practice - a discussion of the previous chapters, their implications, and next steps, Karen Symms Gallagher, Dominic Brewer, and Rod Goodyear.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415872416 20160606
- Publisher's Summary
- Many factors complicate the education of urban students. Among them have been issues related to population density; racial, ethnic, cultural, and linguistic diversity; poverty; racism (individual and institutional); and funding levels. Although urban educators have been addressing these issues for decades, placing them under the umbrella of "urban education" and treating them as a specific area of practice and inquiry is relatively recent. Despite the wide adoption of the term a consensus about its meaning exists at only the broadest of levels. In short, urban education remains an ill-defined concept. This comprehensive volume addresses this definitional challenge and provides a 3-part conceptual model in which the achievement of equity for all -- regardless of race, gender, or ethnicity - is an ideal that is central to urban education. The model also posits that effective urban education requires attention to the three central issues that confronts all education systems (a) accountability of individuals and the institutions in which they work, (b) leadership, which occurs in multiple ways and at multiple levels, and (c) learning, which is the raison d'etre of education. Just as a three-legged stool would fall if any one leg were weak or missing, each of these areas is essential to effective urban education and affects the others.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415872416 20160606
- Publication date
- 9780415872416 (pbk.)
- 0415872413 (pbk.)
- 9780415872409 (hbk.)
- 0415872405 (hbk.)
- 9780203837337 (ebk.)
- 0203837339 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: